Page 395 of 414 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks for the link, Silvbee. So, it seems that this sad-looking little bee was a female.

Default Baillie comb exchange ??

Hi - not done a proper inspection yet but quick peek under the crown boards identified a few strong colonies. I want to try a Baillie comb exchange for the first time, but unsure about the timing. It seems too cold here at the moment to give them a lot of space up top or syrup.
    Anyone started or thinking about this? Murray Mc gets comb drawn in the autumn and I can see the benefits of making use of the bee power at that point. But, its means feeding liquid and I put most of my colonies (certainly the ones back from the heather) under a block of fondant for winter.

Hi FD ... when I was down South I did Bailey comb changes but later in the season (even there). You really need the warmth for drawing loads of new comb. I'm not thinking about it, but if I was it would be in 2-3 weeks at least.

My strongest colonies have a few drones in them already. These are on double brood in the shed. I've done no inspections yet but it is a few drones, not a drone laying queen!

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Bailey
    I see, as in the drink! I'm going to have to be patient here but have to try it. I am determined to have lots of high quality drawn comb when making splits and I do wonder if there is an element of stimulative feeding (also something I've not done). My sites tend not to see much nectar coming in till at least middle of May so I'll probably have monster colonies perfectly timed for the June gap. Oh the joys!

The NBU leaflet (Replacing Old Brood Comb) that covers Bailey changes states from March "This system is ideal for replacing all the combs at once and is best performed in early spring often, with clement weather, March is suitable, but remember to keep feeding so the bees can build comb."

Looking out at the rather dreich weather this morning I suspect you'd be better waiting a bit
    Last edited by fatshark; 06-04-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: waiting, not writing!

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Here’s a couple of links for the Bailey comb change for anyone who’s not sure about it. I’ll plead guilty to not replacing all of my brood combs on a three yearly cycle ( NBU leaflet) and I bet most of you reading this will be the same. Many years ago I carried out the Bailey comb change when converting some of my hives from B S frames to 14x12. I didn’t know the term for what I was doing at the time but I managed to figure it out for myself. It took a lot of feeding and effort from the bees due to our cool weather but it worked out OK. I think I did it in late May. I thought new comb in cleaned hives would get rid of my pesky chalkbrood once and for all but alas it was back within a couple of years☹️. The 14x12 hives didn’t work out for me so I’m now back on B S Smiths (that can be a different post).
    I can see the point of having nice new comb for splits F D especially if you’re selling them. The link to the video is good for beginners but remember they are in Norfolk!
    http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/downl...nt.cfm?id=1074
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_UBm4HEn4#

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    The NBU leaflet (Replacing Old Brood Comb) that covers Bailey changes states from March "This system is ideal for replacing all the combs at once and is best performed in early spring often, with clement weather, March is suitable, but remember to keep feeding so the bees can build comb."

Looking out at the rather dreich weather this morning I suspect you'd be better waiting a bit
    The NBU leaflet is probably based on somewhere in 'middle England' rather than some parts of the UK; you may need to wait a while before doing a bailey comb exchange north of the border.

Checked a dozen or so colonies today in balmy Fife ... the strong ones were packed and they were busy drawing lots of brace comb up into the upturned curry trays I gave top up fondant in. There are drones in the strongest colonies as well.

Might not be too long to wait ... though North of the Tay there may still be permafrost of course

Default North of the Tay

Well - at my apiary up at 200 m above sea level we do have a forecast of frost overnight. And down "souff" folk are putting supers on. A quick peek yesterday in one colony, and lifting crown boards and hefting others suggests enough stores but fondant mostly gone, and drone brood but not yet any flying. I must write 1000 lines "I will be patient". Do they still get lines at school?

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Well - at my apiary up at 200 m above sea level we do have a forecast of frost overnight. And down "souff" folk are putting supers on. A quick peek yesterday in one colony, and lifting crown boards and hefting others suggests enough stores but fondant mostly gone, and drone brood but not yet any flying. I must write 1000 lines "I will be patient". Do they still get lines at school?
    Only of coke.......