Page 379 of 414 FirstFirst ... 279329369377378379380381389 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,790 of 4137

Thread: todays news

From the document that Pete highlighted:- "Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finnland, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Sweden joined together to finance the project, some of them with amounts quite above their proportional share of the total. Special thanks go to the French Beekeepers, who covered about 45% of the budget with money from the European Union’s Beekeeper Fund. In Italy apart from the beekeeper associations U.N.A. API also two bee science institutions made financial contributions to help the project. Although not a member of the European Union, Norway, on its own initiative, contributed a considerable amount.
    Unfortunately, several countries never responded to our repeated requests for financial participation (Great Britain, Greece, Luxembourg, Portugal, and Spain)"
    I guess that the BBKA was not well-funded at the time but you would have thought that either the BBKA, SBKA, FERA or the BFA would have helped a little bit?

I am sure that I have seen a study somewhere which indicates that the residues of OA in the hive are small quite soon after application?

Is this the paper you are thinking of?
    Spring treatment with oxalic acid in honeybee colonies as varroa control (1999)
    No major differences in OA levels in honey (statistically) before or after treating, but treatment was spray or trickle, not vaping.
    Last edited by Thymallus; 17-11-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Hi all I’m back on the forum after quite a few months absence. Yesterday was a good day to check on the bees and give them some candy. The photos were taken about 2:30pm it was sunny, no wind and 6⁰c. As you can see some of my hives were quite active and that was before I disturbed them.
    The ground at the apiary was absolutely soaking and the undersides of the hive roofs varied between damp and wet, that’s why I have an empty super between the crown board and the roof of all hives. The bees never seal most of the mesh on the crown boards (even my finer mesh) so they obviously like to vent their hives.
    Weight wise all the hives seemed OK but the candy is there if they want it and I don’t worry about it being above the crown board as the bees never have any bother using it. 10 out of 10 active at the moment but it’s very early days yet and I usually have to unite colonies in the spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Looking good. And you've got trees in your apiary! Well, big bushes at least.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

The trees are getting bigger every year and they are starting to shade the apiary,I can’t cut them back because it’s not my land. They do provide shelter from the southwest wind though. A new hospital is being built about 800 metres over the fence and it could be a great place for the swarms to settle this summer!!!

Default last nights news

ESBA last night was a very enjoyable talk from a "stand in" Murray Macgregor - well, it started as a talk; he introduced himself and then he led a Q&A session which was perfect. Great to have him there and to get his opinions, strategies and experience. Great turn out as well.
    Many lessons/tips passed on - interesting really that he uses the spring flow to build up and targets start of July for main strength and the heather crops. He mentioned that bell honey is not always the port wine color but that he's seen it much lighter -
    I got a small crop in late summer that was from the moors and it tasted like bell (best honey I've had) but was much lighter in color - as Murray said - would never win as a show entry.

Some unmentionables had dumped loads of black bags in front of my hives at an out-apiary and I thought that they need to be moved away for safekeeping in case the flytippers came back to collect the hives. I lifted up one nuc and thought to myself 'this is so light they will be dead'. However the bees were alive and well just under the crownboard and now have some fondant on. I left two double brood hives as I couldn't manage them by myself. A job for later, once my back has recovered as it went twang lifting one of the hives down to the ground at the new apiary site.

Blog Entries

Things that go twang can be a nightmare for beekeepers (fly-tipping *never* happens in Scotland of course ). I'm currently dealing with a leg that went twang weeks ago then repeated it on Friday. At least cold-season injuries give us time to recover before things get hectic.

Bees flying strongly yesterday once the sun got onto the hives. It was still cold and they weren't out for long, but it was good to see.

180210-08.jpg

In another apiary I checked today quite a few were light and needed a kilogram or two of fondant. Even in full sun it was only about 4C and they "weren't amused" ... perhaps the best they could be described as would be grudgingly grateful.

Snowdrops out in force but the willow has a bit to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Things that go twang can be a nightmare for beekeepers (fly-tipping *never* happens in Scotland of course ). I'm currently dealing with a leg that went twang weeks ago then repeated it on Friday. At least cold-season injuries give us time to recover before things get hectic.
    I used to suffer from sciatica - first time I cried like a child... I now do yoga exercises for my back 5 days a week- 20 mins/day..And no longer suffer from sciatica. But it has taken a year to achieve that. (Beekeeping for the past three years was often done in considerable pain and painkillers appear to not work well on back issues)