Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi fatshark
    I think your forage will get better sooner than here
    I'm a bit higher up and agriculture is mainly arable
    The three crop rotation is potatoes, wheat, OSR
    Rain today so feeding the ones which are low

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    My splits are doing fine with stores but the main hives are very low and I had to nip round and feed 13 hives last night in the rain. One had almost nothing left.

Brood rearing had stopped in most of them. A bit of sun and I think they will find forage soon. The on off rain has put everything back this past week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    My splits are doing fine with stores but the main hives are very low and I had to nip round and feed 13 hives last night in the rain. One had almost nothing left.

Brood rearing had stopped in most of them. A bit of sun and I think they will find forage soon. The on off rain has put everything back this past week or so.

Its a really dire nectar dearth right now. Plenty pollen, very little nectar. Nothing building up here now, expansion at a dead stop.....unless feeding.

Boys report that three small splits in Aberdeenshire had actually keeled over due to lack of food. Casts arriving in the last fortnight are dying unless fed. Good news is that the bell is early but some have bolted for the hills way too early. You only get a yield once the bigger acreages of bell come out AND the temp is above normal.

Clover rarely yields thee days. Willowherb is greatly overestimated in amateur circles, and the limes in most of our places are not yielding despite many being in flower.

Hungry times.

Same down here, I'm enjoying the dearth in a way as its provided me with a window of opportunity nicking any full supers from the last warm spell without there being a nectar shake to confuse matters.
    I heard talk of a swing in the jet stream possibly bringing back some settled weather next week, if so then it could be the season of seasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Philip, that was me told you that..
    Just catching up after being away in St Petersberg on 2 week hols - bees not too bad just a few swarms lost

I said..
    "last season someone told me of a big swarm clustered and observed coming from my apairy, i had dozens of apidea type boxes with virgins flying but when i checked my full hives all queens were present, however a few of the mating boxes had absconded."

Dont think so - you dont know where i keep my bees and its in a restricted area !

Phil
    Last edited by busybeephilip; 29-06-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Wrong end of the stick. I told you that had happened to me. I had a prime swarm leave and it picked up a virgin from one of my apideas. The clipped queen dropped in front of the hive and I caged her.

Blog Entries

Shit weather today - wanted to set up 10 mating boxes with 10 Qs in the incubator waiting to go and several waiting to set out, but hey ho its fun

Blog Entries

Same here. I have a few queens in the incubator and have almost run out of Apideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Clover rarely yields thee days. Willowherb is greatly overestimated in amateur circles, and the limes in most of our places are not yielding despite many being in flower.

Hungry times.
    First year in beekeeping and I had pinned most of my hopes of a harvest on being surrounded by willowherb, this isn't the news I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    First year in beekeeping and I had pinned most of my hopes of a harvest on being surrounded by willowherb, this isn't the news I need!
    You never know !

I have no idea what mine are on at the moment but it was pissing down and at 8pm one hive was still foraging in force. So much I went to check nearby hives were not getting robbed or they had found a way into my extracting room. But no....up and off over a field. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    You never know !

I have no idea what mine are on at the moment but it was pissing down and at 8pm one hive was still foraging in force. So much I went to check nearby hives were not getting robbed or they had found a way into my extracting room. But no....up and off over a field. Odd.
    Really, I had just assumed mine would be hiding inside today and didn't go and check them. Brambles have really opened up this week, could be on them?