Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apis mellifera mellifera(AMM) honey bees

Default Apis mellifera mellifera(AMM) honey bees

Hi
    Is it possible to breed pure race (genotype) Apis mellifera, mellifera (AMM) honey bees commercially in MAINLAND Scotland"?

Eric

Blog Entries

You can find several people who do ....

http://www.sbai.org.uk/Breeding/

G.

Hi Gavin
    Many thanks for the link. I am on a keen learning curve here and I am sure other non- AMM beekeepers, if they are honest will be also. I have studied the cubital index /discoidal shift diagrams and I am not surprised at the scale of divergence from the classic 1.8 cubital index considering the incursion of exotic bees from various different sources into Scotland over the years. What is the accepted range of disparity between values which is the cut – off for an area designated as an isolated pure race breeding area?
    I note that the cubital range on the Roseneath Peninsula is some 1.3 to 2.1, with a concentration of results around the 1.6 to 1.8 index. Jims discoidal average is around (-)3.5
    Margie’s readings range from 1 to 2.2 as you already know with a cluster of values around the 1.4 to 1.5 index. Margie’s discoidal average is around (-) 5.5.
    I was extremely impressed with Margie’s entrepreneurial Sortie to get her disease free breeding material she will go far! I am in awe!
    From the information to hand – it would seem that a “pure race” breeding program is still some way off! Or???
    Regards
    Eric

Blog Entries

Eric
    Check out this thread
    there are lots of examples of AMM type scattergrams

Hi Eric,

I will be discussing the Rosneath results in April at the Glasgow Beekeepers as part of my talk. I should warn you that using software like Drawwing is not the whole answer. You need to look at other Morphometric charateristics of Amm. A lot of people get hung up with the Cubital Index and Discodal shift results only but it is still a good tool that beekeepers can easily use to see the amount of hybridisation in their colonies and use it to select Amm when breeding. The Rosneath results you have quoted are last years results and by selective breeding the results have improved again this year with some colonies giving a result up to 95% for Amm

Blog Entries

Guys

Almost worth coming through to Glasgow for that talk methinks! Nice to see your lecturing career burgeoning Jimbo.

I propose moving this thread to 'Native bees' but I'll leave it here awhile yet to get everyone used to the idea. Just being tidy.

G.

No its not! I don't know why Peter Stromberg asked me. Two months to go and already having panic attacks over the powerpoint

Blog Entries

Your talk in Portmoak was grand, really. Very accomplished. A few panic attacks in advance are essential to make you care enough to do the talk well. I'm having a few right now about Oban tomorrow night.

Mind you, that Glasgow audience can be hard on their visiting speakers .... (only kidding Jim!).

Eric - might this be a new crusade of yours? If so, I might just join you. I need something to take my mind off pesticides.

G.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Y

Mind you, that Glasgow audience can be hard on their visiting speakers ....

G.
    ........we were very well behaved tonight and the speaker was still smiling at the end. Looking forward to hearing your talk Jim.
    Last edited by EmsE; 09-02-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Why the sudden interest Eric?

McArthur advert for bees.jpg
    Hi Eric
    I think you have been there before! See attachment from Scottish Beekeeper quite a long time ago. Yes, Eric Margie has done a great job and a couple of those queens will be trialled by another lady beekeeper this summer. Margie is the only one I know who can stick little numbered discs on her queens.
    Alvearium