Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Polystyrene Hives

I don't know if our expereine is relevant, because we use Langstroths, but we have both cedar and Swienty polystyrene. The external footprint of the poly is greater than that of the cedar because the walls are thicker, but internally they're exactly the same.

Crown boards (thick acrylic) and both framed and unframed queen excluders for the cedar hives can be used on the poly, leaving a rim of perhaps about half an inch of polystyrene uncovered which doesn't seem a problem. (The measurement is a guess, and I don't plan to brave the rain in the dark to check.) We haven't noticed any problems with rain getting in, maybe because the hive is strapped together.

The cedar roof won't fit the poly, it's too small but the poly roof could possibly be used with the cedar. There would be an overlap round the outside but the polystyrene slab of insulation beneath the metal outer lid would, I think, seal any gaps especially if ratchet straps are used.

The cedar brood box will sit on the poly floor, we haven't tried it the other way round, but think it would look ungainly.

4 smiths from coupar angus waiting for painting so easy to assemble and look quite easy to combine DSCF0062.jpg

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Two Delrosa poly hives arrived and it seems a good weekend to be putting them together, varnishing and painting. Despite there being 8" of fresh snow on the ski slopes (I might just go for a quick slide tomorrow) and a temperature of barely 6 degrees here, a few bees are flying, just shows how important it is to buy your bees locally - highland raised and hardy with it. I'll get one poly hive out this weekend in case of swarms and the second one is for the new nuc arriving in July. BTW gave my bees a feed on Monday and hoping to get a full inspection done this weekend - HA HA, fat chance. But with my new plastic crownboard I should be able to see if they have gone through the syrup yet.

Any bees thriving in this weather deserve a gold star, made up 3 frame nuc with queen cell and 2 mini's last weekend, both mini nuc had little clumps around the cells, syrup untouched. So much for speculating on a change in the weather. Weather forecast tomorrow may allow a chance to create few more, it's central heating they need not poly's

Blog Entries

Not much better round this neck of the woods if it's any consolation. Tomorrow I will finally get a chance to do my first full inspection of 2012! I've had a quick peek at a hive here and there, but not had the opportunity to do a full, proper, inspection on any of them. I still do't know for sure if the swarm we picked up nearly two weeks ago came from one of mine.

Ho hum.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Any bees thriving in this weather deserve a gold star, made up 3 frame nuc with queen cell and 2 mini's last weekend, both mini nuc had little clumps around the cells, syrup untouched. So much for speculating on a change in the weather. Weather forecast tomorrow may allow a chance to create few more, it's central heating they need not poly's
    One early queencell went into a mini nuc a while ago and last week the weather touched 20 degrees for just a day. 5 days later there were lying-down eggs - so 2 or 3 days old. So she slipped out and did the business.

Old thread but no point starting a new one eh..?

Just bought 5 Denrosa/Swienty Nationals with 1 matching feeder and another 4 to follow on order. Just wondering if I could screw a thin batten around the outside of the bottom of the feeder to create a bee space. Will the screws grip in the poly? Or will I need glue as well? Don't want to go drilling holes in the stuff if it's not going to work!

Why does it need to be attached? Can't you make a thin eke or five, or put the feeder on top of a queen excluder?

Hi Bumble - planning to use the feeders as crownboards and it'd be easier taking them on and off if the thing was attached. A square frame of thin battens isn't exactly the strongest structure either - but I suppose it would do in a pinch. And the queen excluders are going to be in use in season.

I have done severl successful mods and repairs using screws and glue and it works very well, just be aware that the drill bit needs to be under size, so for a 6mm hole try a 4mm bit first.

PH