Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polystyrene Hives

Blog Entries

Yes he is.

Does Murray have a web page and does he sell langstroth polys?

Blog Entries

If you Google for Denrosa you'll get contact details but, no, no web page. At this time of year he is really busy.

His main operation uses poly Langstroths so I guess that he sells them too. The prices I mentioned before were approximate as some pieces were more than that and some less.

I should get commission for this! (but don't in case you were wondering)

G.
    Last edited by gavin; 19-07-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: A bit too much detail for an open forum

Thanks for that Gavin

Blog Entries

Arise! Was considering giving a Poly 14x12 a go to compare and also to take along to our beginners course this year. Prices look good, £57 for a complete 14x12 hive (minus frames and supers) from Paynes or £113 for the hive, plus super, a sturdier looking roof and entrance block (the bits not included from Paynes) from beehive supplies

Heard a bit about Paynes, but no idea what the general feeling is on the hives themselves. Any thoughts?

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

My thoughts remain the same on poly...great for mininucs, possibly even for overwintering nucs but I don't fancy having to keep full hives permanently tethered to a lump of non-eco concrete and our RBI isn't keen at all. As yet no AFB in polyhives but no policy for dealing with an outbreak in the field...petrol? Not likely...And I don't wear the attempts at saying these things are environmentally ok. There. Grump over.

Blog Entries

Fair enough Points Susbees and for the most part not ones that I disagree with though I could at least claim to be recycling a brick. For demonstration purposes though I'd quite like to have one and for myself just to see in the barmy climes of the south west whether there's any appreciable difference with them.

But one of my main reasons for liking Cedar is that it does, quite literally, grow on trees.

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

There's a reasonable chance I'll need one to test for a research project at some point in the next year or so...but no-one makes Commercial size afaik. All cedar here.

Blog Entries

Certainly not seen a commercial one. Only started to see National and 14x12 last year really.

I have seen little about the Beehive Supplies hives and lots about the MB and Paynes ones. Maybe Beehive Supplies are missing a marketing trick somehow.

I believe strong bleach will kill AFB.

I have bought a MB polyhive and it is nicely made. However there are dimensional issues with it which is a shame so I may get rid or just use it as a chunky nuc and transfer the bees out. The Paynes ones don't seem to have the problem although the roof is a bit lightweight. It IS made in the UK though. I happened to speak to the supplier about something we were looking at for my work and the investment that Paynes has made will be quite substantial - the tooling isn't cheap at all. I hope it pays off for them.

It is said that polyhives get more honey due to better insulation and faster build-up. (Swarmy bees might swarm earlier too). But I do like buggering around with bits of wood and hive parts can be made very cheaply with offcuts and skip diving.