Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polystyrene Hives

Blog Entries

Default Polystyrene Hives

Having searched the forum for any info on polystyrene hives and coming up with a blank, has anyone in this part of the world had any experience with them?

I am very tempted to have 'a go' with one. Although considerably cheaper than the norm, buying on the cheap can generally mean problems down the line somewhere!!

Hi Popz, Modern Beekeeping will soon have some Poly Nationals (aka Rooftops in another place). As John knows what he's doing it may be worth contacting him. I too am a poly virgin and I'm considering taking the plunge soon.

Blog Entries

I'm hoping to get some from Denrosa for the new association apiary once the new stock arrive. At least some of the ones Modern Beekeeping sell have Denrosa stamped on them.
    Last edited by gavin; 05-02-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: May have been wrong earlier!

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Gavin and Adam. But what I really want to know is whether anyone has tried them in our climate? Albeit, that Mull does tend to be rather 'balmy' at times - quote from someone last week! and thats why you may need sunglasses Gavin!.

I know that these hives are used in Scandinavian countries extensively with very good results. They are, of course, considerably colder but DRIER than us!

Blog Entries

They were promoted by Bernard Mobus at the North of Scotland College in Aberdeen, and I've seen them still in use by a number of beekeepers in that area. They are also in extensive use by commercial beekeepers in Scotland. Those who had a mix of polystyrene and wooden hives in the 2009/2010 winter had markedly better survival in the polyhives. They have mesh built into the floor and the good insulation means that they do not have the condensation problems of less well insulated hives. I would imagine that balmy Mull would suit them down to the ground - or at least down to the lower part of your favourite hive stands.

Hi Popz,

I have a mixture of Polyhives and wooden hives. I first saw polyhives in Europe about 10 years ago on a visit to Sweinty in Denmark. I purchased a few hives from Murray McGregor (Denrosa) on my return. Polyhives are quite popular in the Helensburgh area which is just as wet as Mull I have also purchased from Standfordham. When people think of Polyhives they think of the soft polysyrene sheets used in packing. The polyhive is more dense that the poly fish boxes you sometimes see in fishing ports. You would be hard pushed to damage it with your hive tool. I have no damage after about 8 years use. One drawback is the floor comes with a small mesh and is not suitable if you want to monitor with a varroa floor. I just place the poly brood box onto a wooden varroa floor. The insulation is better that a wooden hive resulting in the brood nest not being in the middle of the hive wher you would expect it. On some occasions I have found the bees on inspection to one side of the hive. I have never had a problem with condinsation or dampness in a polyhive. The bees don't propolise it the same as a wooden hive. One disadvantage is cleaning the hive ie you can't use your blowtorch on it like a wooden hive (stating the obvious) I clean the inside by using washing soda. You can paint the outside with a gloss paint if you wish. The poly roof is not very deep and would need straps to keep it on. The best bit of poly kit I have is the large poly feeder. When feeding I just fill it up and the winter feed is done. One tip is to paint the inside of the feeder as well as the outside as the sugar solution tends to encourage black growth on the polystyrene.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I'm hoping to get some from Denrosa for the new association apiary once the new stock arrive. At least some of the ones Modern Beekeeping sell have Denrosa stamped on them.
    The ones from modern beekeeping are from paradise honey in Finland Iv just bought ten langstroth's but their not in use yet. Regards Andrew

Got a mix of poly and cedar nationals on the (wet) west coast. Colonies do seem to overwinter better in polystyrene BB and get off to a better start in spring. For those to whom the info may be useful, they are lighter too. I know of at least one commercial bkpr who uses nothing but.
    Eb

Gavin

Have any of the Scottish foulbrood cases been found in Poly hives? If so how did you go about sterilising them?

Rosie

Hi Rosie
    For what it is worth! Profuse apologise for paste up -but only credible way to promulgate this info! The last line of the prose is extremely interesting.
    Eric

Hygiene in the apiary
    (A manual for hygienic beekeeping)
    A publication arising from BeeShop
    The research project ‘Bees in Europe and Sustainable Honey Production’
    Contract PL 022568 of the EU’s 6th FP
    Edited by Dalibor Titera, BRI Dol 2009

TYPES OF CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES WITH DISINFECTIVE PROPERTIES
    Hydroxides and alkali salts
    Solutions of hydroxides and alkali salts act through their high concentration of
    hydroxylic anions (OH-). Solutions with a pH higher than 12 are very efficient. The
    pH of a solution can be measured by pH test papers. They are often used as
    additions to other means of disinfection because they increase total disinfection
    efficiency. They can be used while hot, but then the more caution has to be used.
    Chemical burn with caustic soda causes deep lesions. We also appreciate that in
    beekeeping they dissolve wax and lipids. They are readily available and relatively
    cheap.
    This group includes
    - potassium hydroxide, KOH
    - sodium hydroxide (caustic soda), NaOH
    - sodium carbonate (washing soda), Na2CO3
    they are used in 2 up to 6 % concentration, at best while hot (they also destroy
    spores of AFB at 80 °C)
    Last edited by Eric McArthur; 06-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.