Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is concern over residues in foundation warranted?

Blog Entries

All useful stuff. At the moment I'm thinking of doing the following:

1) Put the frames together in the usual way minus the "Wedge" on the top bar.

2) Drill holes approx 1/3 and 2/3 down on the sidebars

3) Run 30lb fishing line through these (horizontal support)

4) I'm currently thinking that some small screws that won't go right through the sidebars are possibly the easiest way to tension and fix the line. i.e. wrap the line once around the screw and screw it into the sidebar, tension and repeat on the other side.

5) I've got my cappings wax which I'm intending to use to make starter strips. In the supers last year I had some wireless foundation left over and I fixed 1/2 of the length of the foundation and maybe 4-5 cells deep to the middle of the frame, simply push fixing it onto the top bar.

So about 2 inches wide by half an inch deep.

I want to bailey change a double brood national onto 14x12s in the spring so I'm thinking that alternating foundation with frames with strips will hopefully minimise the chance that I'll get comb in all sorts of wierd and wonderful shapes and I can then start to shuffle things around accordingly. I might start off sticking all the foundation in the middle and then moving drawn frames to accomodate starter strips.

I know that's kind of a halfway house to start, but I'm lacking in 14x12 combs at the moment but figure once I've got one brood box going I use that as a "factory" to get some comb to use in any subsequent brood boxes.

Blog Entries

I have much the same plan.
    Would a drawing pin not be simpler for holding the line tight?
    You could use scraps of brace comb for the starter strips. I do this with my Apideas.
    Use a blow torch to melt a spoonful of wax and stick a bit of brace comb to the underside of the top bar with the wax.

Blog Entries

A drawing pin might well be sufficient, some testing needed methinks.

If I'd kept brace comb separate it might well do, I've got best part of a pound of cappings wax though which should be more than enough for the brood boxes and supers this year. I might try using a spare OA syringe to do a nice line of wax along the top bars rather than use strips.

Blog Entries

Rosie, thanks for your reply. Your point C is probably true at cold moments, probably not when it's hot.Wire is used for foundation, so it must be o.k.. However as nylon is thermally more neutral it is probably better. Point D- I've never had a problem with the bees incorporating the wire in the comb. But then again , that doesn't mean that they don't do it more easily with nylon. Anyway, you've convinced me to try nylon line this year. I'll still work vertically though, as I've always found it guides the bees down. I can even put just a *blob* of wax at the beginning of a wire rather than a starter strip and there is never a problem of alignment of comb.
    Regards.

Aesthetically, I LIKE wooden frames with sweet-scented wax foundation - old fashioned and unhealthy as the wax is now being labelled. Have always bought in the foundation as I use the beeswax from my own colonies for dipped candles. Wonderful Christmas presents!

Went looking for plastic frames and comments on these but, in the UK, for Nationals, found only plastic frames and plastic sheet foundation. The composite frames used so much now in the US seem not to have crossed the pond?

Is this right?
    Has anyone tried them?
    How difficult is it to coat them in molten wax before using?

Kate

Blog Entries

There is a thread on the BBKA forums discussing plastic frames, I'll try and dig up a link for you. I don't really like the idea of using plastics myself. I know it's a bit wooly and in the case of polystyrene hives perhaps a bit of cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I do love the smell and feel of wood and part of me can't help but feel that as a building material, it does, well, grow on trees.

That's perhaps a bit rich typing this on my plastic keyed laptop in front of the plastic bodied TV etc etc etc.

Back on topic. I was too lazy to find a fishing shop supplier in the end so just ordered some frame wire and some tool I have no idea how to use but thought might be handy:

So today is where I get to annoy the neighbours by hammering stuff all day long. I've still got 2 hive stands, 3 hives and 10 supers to make up plus all the frames to go in them.

I did take a pragmatic approach and buy another pack of 14x12 foundation. I had 6 sheets left from last year and another 10 will cover the other two hives an I'll just alternate foundation with foundationless and see how they get on.

Good luck with all that hammering Nellie! Perhaps I'll do the same, but less to make up.

Recently made a couple of Horsley boards and will try them this Summer, for increase. (You can buy pieces of acrylic cut to size for the "slide" and they're cheap and easier for me to get hold of than metal sheet - suppliers easy to find on the web.)

I think the BBKA discussion Nellie refers to is at http://www.britishbee.org.uk/forum/s...plastic+frames and confirms, I think, what I have found out ... that all-plastic frames for nationals seem not to be available. Can't say I am very disappointed!

So back to the frame hammering!
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 27-03-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: found link

Blog Entries

This is how I've wired them: (click for larger image)

I made sure that the sidebars were a little narrower than the bottom bars when I fixed the wire so that when I attached the bottom bars it properly tensioned the wire.

One box complete, when I've done the rest I'll melt down some wax and try my syringe experiment.

Blog Entries

Nellie,
    Do you need to use a lot of force to get the eyelets through the side bars? That's the part that's putting me off trying that.

Blog Entries

Emse,

They're no problem at all if you use a 3 mil drill bit first, then they just push in. I was surprised at how straightforward the whole affair was to be honest.

I never did figure out how to use that tool but it wasn't needed. As you don't have to fanny around with foundation and the top wedge it takes about the same amount of time to make up as a frame with foundation.