Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is concern over residues in foundation warranted?

Blog Entries

14x12 is basically a national and a half in single box so it's a long thin frame compared to the (relatively) wide short in a commercial/Langstroths/dadant.

Even with wired foundation they're notoriously prone to sagging or falling out completely if not handled carefully.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    I was considering putting a brace about halfway down the frame with a starter strip there and at the top, but I'm also a little unsure at the moment what the ramifications, if any are, in terms of how that might affect the brood area.
    Nellie, personally, I'd try an experiment on a few frames. I'd drill holes halfway down the frame sides, and insert a metal rod, about 2 mm. in diameter.I'd then wire vertically,wrapping the wire once around the rod on the way down. Then a starter strip at the top.The vertical wires will guide the comb down, and the rod should thus be incorporated into the comb.I can't see it messing with the brood area- bees are amazingly adaptable.

Blog Entries

umm better to put in a wooden rod or strut - makes me shiver thinking of a metal rod conducting all the warmth away in winter!

I can't see vertical wires working well with BS frames as the bottom bars are so flimsy. I would just put a couple of fishing lines horizontally between the side bars. 14x12s aren't as bad as you think Nellie. I usually keep about 6 or 8 14x12 hives and have not noticed comb problems.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Been on them for a year now and I've not had any real problems, but I don't hold the frames flat but I'm still waiting for me to get lazy with them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    I can't see vertical wires working well with BS frames as the bottom bars are so flimsy.
    Which just goes to show how there's always something I don't know when dishing out advice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    umm better to put in a wooden rod or strut - makes me shiver thinking of a metal rod conducting all the warmth away in winter!
    Hi Calum. I don't really understand this. If the rod is embedded in the comb, where will the warmth go to? Perhaps I'm just being dim, but the idea came to me from these frames ,used by a beefarmer in the Vosges .cadre Delon.jpg

The topbar is wood, but the side and bottom bars are metal rods

Blog Entries

Hi,
    maybe I missunderstood I thought you were wanting to strengthen the frame with a rod through the middle. Even on the sides I would not use metal. Metal conducts warmth and dissapates it, I thought a rod through the winter nest would just conduct the warmth energy out to the ends (or cold into the brood) - increasing stores consumption. Its some law of thermal dynamics or other. Metal edges to frames - I'd think bees traversing them in winter to get food from other frames would cool down much quicker than on wood. Was just a thought. I know I don't like our tiled kitchen floor in the morning without slippers.

Blog Entries

Rosie, why do you use fishing line instead of wire?

Chris

Fishing line is standard practice amongst those of us who regularly use starter strips in the brood box. I haven't tried wire with starter strips but to me fishing line has a few advantages.

A) they stretch a bit so both lines remain taught even though the sides may flex a bit.
    B) they are easy and cheap to fit
    C) they are warmer than steel
    D) the bees draw comb over them as if they were not there. I am not sure if they would with steel.
    E) when you come to remove the wax it's easy to cut through them or if you melt the combs out the lines stay in place and remain tight.
    F) they will not harm cutting tools such as those used for cell punching

They do, however, have a disadvantage in that the bees sometimes chew through them. I think Dave Cushman recommends 20lb line but my bees cut through that too often so I use 30lb. I once used multifilament line and the bees turned it to felt in a couple of days so monofilament is a must.

Rosie