Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum update

Blog Entries

You know it makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Following a suggestion we're going with making the pictures loaded onto the site visible all and sundry. Even non-logged in members. If anyone would rather not, do let us know and we'll reconsider. Being an old fartie, I resisted at first but may grow to like it.

G.
    I was once told (but admit that I'm not sure if it's entirely true) that there's software available which allows the location at which digital photos are taken to be decoded... a possible security risk but anyone could sign up and use it so not specifically relevant to wider publication.

Blog Entries

Default Forum update

I've already tracked a whole pile of them to suburban Belfast, a dodgy area if ever there was one. Presumably that was an urban myth, but maybe young (ish!) Neil can put us right.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I was once told (but admit that I'm not sure if it's entirely true) that there's software available which allows the location at which digital photos are taken to be decoded... a possible security risk but anyone could sign up and use it so not specifically relevant to wider publication.
    Newer cameras and mobile phones that have GPS capability record this information in the metadata information in the photo file.

If you put photos on a hosting service like Flickr you can set whether you want to make that information in your photos available.

I don't honestly know how vbulletin treats photos other than it scales/resizes the image so if you're concerned about GPS location information being included you might want to wait until I've done some investigation. You can download applications that will strip metadata out of image files but I don't have a recommendation on a specific one.
    Last edited by Neils; 19-01-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Interesting stuff -I really don't know, way outside my techno-tolerance!

The story was originally related to me by a local bird watcher who frequents a bird watching forum. He reckoned that someone claiming to have photographed some unusal bird in his local area was caught out when the photo's data was analysed and found to have been taken abroad. It was a good story the way it was told!

Blog Entries

Default Forum update

Certainly possible, the photo management software I use has a feature where it overlays on a map where you've taken photos.

Blog Entries

Do you have a camera that would allow you to try it out on images uploaded into vB?

On this vBulletin forum I came across a post regretting the apparent inability to preserve image metadata in vBulletin 4 whereas it is preserved on Facebook, Google, Flickr and Wordpress:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...from-Lightroom

G.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

I don't think you need to worry too much about this Gavin. People who post images to a forum already know they are going to be seen by lots of people. I have checked an upload I made to the forum from my mobile phone and checked it in Adobe Photoshop (where you can see alot of info about a photo, and also you can add a lot of info as well - this is part of the embedded metadata) and there is no information given about the image apart from the actual time I screen grabbed it. I am going to upload another image in a minute from my digital camera to see how much information that retains and will let you know ( so please ignore a non relevant post to this thread). It maybe that the forum software strips all the infomation out so as to keep the image size tiny and not overload the system. The guy on the vbulletin forum who is complaining about headlines/descriptions being stripped out has used the Adobe software to put this information with the image and when its uploaded its no longer there. I don't think our guys will be adding lengthy descriptions, etc, more like a headline below the image and a few pithy remarks.
    As Neils says its possible to add a location via GPS and I can add default locations, times and dates on my digital camera, but never see the point of it really. Might be useful for a professional news photographer though.
    I know some of this because I have a small photo library and still sell images through an online portal so adding information and keywording is something I'm often, and hate, doing.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

As I thought all the information from my digital camera has been stripped out. The images I uploaded have been reduced in size and I expect part of this reduction included the stripping out of the metadata. You will need to find out whether your forum software can be modified if you want to retain this information but imho I don't think you really need to.
    Gavin perhaps you want to delete the above images etc

Blog Entries

Excellent, thanks Bridget. If anyone wants pithy remarks to be visible as well as location data they'll just have to tell us in the usual way.

PS Nice pictures that are no longer there. I could tell that the skiing images weren't in Scotland!
    Last edited by gavin; 19-01-2013 at 09:35 PM.