Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum update

Blog Entries

I'd also be interested i hearing of any events, workshops, shows etc that people might like to have plugged as well as bee related news items (like Gavin's bee poo one) that people spot that might be of interest.

I still like the idea of a focussed topic of the month to discuss. I even have a suggested topic having just scraped my Module 3. I had to describe a Varroa IPM programme, actually what I use at the moment with a few other things that I thought would be a good idea when I was doing the paper and I'd like to put that down in here so people can pull it apart etc and see how it goes.

Blog Entries

Default Tag Clouds

I don't think many of us, including me, use them when posting new threads, but the more I look into and start using them when searching the forum the handier I'm starting to find them. So on an ad-hoc basis I'm starting to add Tags to threads that (I think) are useful to try and start building up the tags in use on the forum.

Tags?
    If you look at the bottom of any Thread or Blog Post you'll see a section called "tags for this section" Which contains any tags that have been entered. In addition you can view the "tag cloud" which shows the top used tags and, by size, which tags are used the most.

A tag is simply a way of attaching keywords to your post for future searching and can be a handy way of categorising your post, blog etc, especially if the tag is different to the text within the post; ie you might use the tag "AMM" in a post in the native bees thread where you haven't actually referred to AMM in the thread text itself, anyone searching that Tag will still be taken to your post.

When Adding tags, there is an autocomplete feature on the text box, so if you type "Honey" You'll see a list of all existing tags that start (honey, Honeybee and Honeybees I think off the top of myhead) so that you can select an existing tag. If it doesn't exist you can simply create it and it'll then be available for future use.

If you click on "IPM" in the tag cloud, for example, you're shown a summary of all Articles, Threads and Blog posts that have that tag.

You can also search for specific Tags in the advanced search feature.

if other find them handy and do use them please let me know, I'll carry on building tags regardless but it would be nice to know that others find them useful too.
    Last edited by Neils; 24-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    ... if other find them handy and do use them please let me know, I'll carry on building tags regardless but it would be nice to know that others find them useful too.
    Yes, thanks Nellie - I use them. Until now I thought one can only see them at the end of a thread and felt a bit frustrated by that - so it's useful to know that they're also visible in Advance Search.

Blog Entries

ooo, didn't notice that in the advanced search, not only is the entire Tag Cloud visible, but you can see it prioritised by which ones are searched for the most

Eh! Just when I thought i'd got the hang of this forum thingy you and start talking about tags and clouds - ill get there, just bear with me.
    C

Blog Entries

Cloud computing, it's the new best thing. You'd better believe it.

As for tags, are they talking about something like sheep tags? With all the miniaturisation going on these days, it will not be long before individually tagging our bees is mooted from some urban regulatory centre. The bees are all disappearing apparently so we'd best make sure that we register those left.

I might suggest that it should become SBA policy (just to wind up Drone Ranger .... )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Easy beesy View Post
    Eh! Just when I thought i'd got the hang of this forum thingy you and start talking about tags and clouds - ill get there, just bear with me.
    C
    Don't worry Easy They're not essential to use, but if you search the forum a lot, especially if you only have a general notion of what you're looking for they can come in handy. I've added tags to a lot of the Varroa treatment and Integrated Pest Management threads for example, so if you wanted to find out what people were talking about in that area you could just click on the "Varroa Treatment" tag and all the related threads and blog posts would be shown. Compared to, say, searching the forum for "Apistan" and then "Apiguard", "thymol" etc etc.

It's just quite a handy way of being able to both categorise and display at a glance what categories threads come under. When a tag is small, there aren't many threads using it, when it's shown in big text, there are lots of different threads and posts.

Default Database error

I've been trying to search the site but keep getting a "database error"

http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/se...earchid=117881

Blog Entries

I suspect that anyone trying to do anything was getting a 'Database error'. I'm just back from checking the bees and my inbox was full (>200 messages) from the software warning me of a database error. It was like that for about an hour this afternoon and also for a period this morning.

It is due to the database that contains all the data in the forum being offline but the other server, the one that runs the forum software, still being active. Fasthosts, the company hosting the site, used to provide a dreadful service but these breakdowns have become infrequent in recent months.

Blog Entries

Following a suggestion we're going with making the pictures loaded onto the site visible all and sundry. Even non-logged in members. If anyone would rather not, do let us know and we'll reconsider. Being an old fartie, I resisted at first but may grow to like it.

G.