Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Cool Forum update

Well folks, we've let things slide for too long. Me in particular. For the best part of a year we've had a wonderful, informative, hopefully sometimes entertaining, relaxed place where Scottish beekeepers and friends from elsewhere can exchange pleasantries and information on beekeeping. We are about to return to that ideal. The folk with their fingers on the buttons, including me, will now move posts that we regard as unsuitable to a new area as soon as we can. Posts that get too personal, are overly repetitive, with too much cutting and pasting, are pursuing campaigns not directly linked to beekeeping, or just seem to be trying to inflame things. Those posts will move to a special area within the 'Environmental issues' forum where people can go for such arguments if they wish. The main Environmental issues area will host sensible, rational, logical, polite discussion only.

This is the mildest level of control possible in the circumstances, apart from doing nothing which is not an option. No posts will be lost, no-one can make claims of
    censorship, and the rules are clear. There are other things we can do if unpleasantness persists, but there is no need for that now.

The other suggestion of focussed discussion linked to the Scottish Beekeeper will be pursued separately a little later.

happy posting everyone, and please be nice!

Gavin

Hi Gavin
    Gavin wrote:
    This is the mildest level of control possible in the circumstances, apart from doing nothing which is not an option. No posts will be lost, no-one can make claims of censorship, and the rules are clear. There are other things we can do if unpleasantness persists, but there is no need for that now.
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::

I've been looking for "Yet Another Puzzle" Gavin - any ideas?

Eric

Blog Entries

Yes Eric, it is in this area of the forum, 'Everything and Anything'. So, click on 'Everything and Anything' above, but then as that thread has been dormant it has slipped back to the second page (click number 2!). It had its last contribution on 15 December and you'll find them in date order.

all the best

Gavin

Hi Gavin

Many thanks for that!

eric

Gavin is it possible to have a collated "information" page in a similar format to that used by the Edinburg beekeepers.This is full of up to date useful info and articles but only available if you subscribe to their forum.????

Blog Entries

Hi John

I do like their 'ezine' (even though my first experience of it was unfounded criticism of the initial response to the EFB outbreak which implied fingers being pointed at me!). Iain does a good job.

He probably wouldn't want it distributed through this forum as it links to his own one. Should we repeat the exercise? Not sure, it must be a lot of work collating those reports. Another thing we could do is try to update the 'Home' page more regularly which currently also draws on other media reports and adds the cream of the posts here and some SBA-related things. That may be a better way forward as Iain's reports are often a little dated by the time they get circulated.

Gavin

Eh! Just when I thought i'd got the hang of this forum thingy you and start talking about tags and clouds - ill get there, just bear with me.
    C

Blog Entries

Cloud computing, it's the new best thing. You'd better believe it.

As for tags, are they talking about something like sheep tags? With all the miniaturisation going on these days, it will not be long before individually tagging our bees is mooted from some urban regulatory centre. The bees are all disappearing apparently so we'd best make sure that we register those left.

I might suggest that it should become SBA policy (just to wind up Drone Ranger .... )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Easy beesy View Post
    Eh! Just when I thought i'd got the hang of this forum thingy you and start talking about tags and clouds - ill get there, just bear with me.
    C
    Don't worry Easy They're not essential to use, but if you search the forum a lot, especially if you only have a general notion of what you're looking for they can come in handy. I've added tags to a lot of the Varroa treatment and Integrated Pest Management threads for example, so if you wanted to find out what people were talking about in that area you could just click on the "Varroa Treatment" tag and all the related threads and blog posts would be shown. Compared to, say, searching the forum for "Apistan" and then "Apiguard", "thymol" etc etc.

It's just quite a handy way of being able to both categorise and display at a glance what categories threads come under. When a tag is small, there aren't many threads using it, when it's shown in big text, there are lots of different threads and posts.

Default Database error

I've been trying to search the site but keep getting a "database error"

http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/se...earchid=117881