Thread: Forum update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That a good idea. The site users could PM you the link for perusal if something bee related appears in the media.
    That could work. Or maybe there is someone out there who would like some involvement in developing the site?

Is this one to start us off?! As it happens my assistant saw something that might be relevant to the investigation so we've passed that on.

G.

Blog Entries

Right folks! Nellie has kindly agreed to be 'Home page monitor'. He will look out for newsy items to add to the Home page so if anyone sees anything that you think may be worth pointing folk towards then send him a PM. I can do it too, but he will probably do it faster. Maybe we'll discuss some of them here too.

One more change: I'm going to add a forum area on Queen Raising, and hope that the 'Scaling Up' one provides a home for those interested in selling honey, making the transition to semi-commercial, or even discuss the issues of being fully commercial.

Perhaps it is also time to revive the idea of having a focussed discussion area.

Gavin

Blog Entries

I'd also be interested i hearing of any events, workshops, shows etc that people might like to have plugged as well as bee related news items (like Gavin's bee poo one) that people spot that might be of interest.

I still like the idea of a focussed topic of the month to discuss. I even have a suggested topic having just scraped my Module 3. I had to describe a Varroa IPM programme, actually what I use at the moment with a few other things that I thought would be a good idea when I was doing the paper and I'd like to put that down in here so people can pull it apart etc and see how it goes.

Blog Entries

Default Tag Clouds

I don't think many of us, including me, use them when posting new threads, but the more I look into and start using them when searching the forum the handier I'm starting to find them. So on an ad-hoc basis I'm starting to add Tags to threads that (I think) are useful to try and start building up the tags in use on the forum.

Tags?
    If you look at the bottom of any Thread or Blog Post you'll see a section called "tags for this section" Which contains any tags that have been entered. In addition you can view the "tag cloud" which shows the top used tags and, by size, which tags are used the most.

A tag is simply a way of attaching keywords to your post for future searching and can be a handy way of categorising your post, blog etc, especially if the tag is different to the text within the post; ie you might use the tag "AMM" in a post in the native bees thread where you haven't actually referred to AMM in the thread text itself, anyone searching that Tag will still be taken to your post.

When Adding tags, there is an autocomplete feature on the text box, so if you type "Honey" You'll see a list of all existing tags that start (honey, Honeybee and Honeybees I think off the top of myhead) so that you can select an existing tag. If it doesn't exist you can simply create it and it'll then be available for future use.

If you click on "IPM" in the tag cloud, for example, you're shown a summary of all Articles, Threads and Blog posts that have that tag.

You can also search for specific Tags in the advanced search feature.

if other find them handy and do use them please let me know, I'll carry on building tags regardless but it would be nice to know that others find them useful too.
    Last edited by Neils; 24-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    ... if other find them handy and do use them please let me know, I'll carry on building tags regardless but it would be nice to know that others find them useful too.
    Yes, thanks Nellie - I use them. Until now I thought one can only see them at the end of a thread and felt a bit frustrated by that - so it's useful to know that they're also visible in Advance Search.

Blog Entries

ooo, didn't notice that in the advanced search, not only is the entire Tag Cloud visible, but you can see it prioritised by which ones are searched for the most