Thread: Monsanto Saviorof the World - Who are Monsanto?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jon
    Soya, alfalfa and maize are already GM'd, Monsanto will not stop until they have patents for everything we eat and wear -try GM cotton,which is causing mass suicides of Indian farmers as their fields become choked with resistant weeds and the become bankrupt! Fact! Comments on the Arctic seed bank in private GM company control, please!

Eric

Blog Entries

I think I already posted in another thread that the main problem I have with GM is companies like Monsanto.

Alfalfa and Soya will not grow outdoors in the UK.
    Soya in particular is a delicate little crop in my experience and I have grown both.
    If you need to invoke Global warming that sounds like a fairly weak argument to me and you will fall out with your climate change denier friend Mr Borderbeeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I think I already posted in another thread that the main problem I have with GM is companies like Monsanto.

Alfalfa and Soya will not grow outdoors in the UK.
    Soya in particular is a delicate little crop in my experience and I have grown both.
    If you need to invoke Global warming that sounds like a fairly weak argument to me and you will fall out with your climate change denier friend Mr Borderbeeman.
    .................................................. .....

Are you then in denial of Climate Change? Think BIG! The experts tell us that twmperature are rising - how fast is the question! I can disagree with somebody's idea but I do not try to belittle them. LIve and let live!

Blog Entries

Not regulated?!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McArthur View Post

Are you then in denial of Climate Change? Think BIG! The experts tell us that twmperature are rising - how fast is the question! I can disagree with somebody's idea but I do not try to belittle them. LIve and let live!
    I fear that you are misunderstanding Jon again. His point was not that he is a climate change denier (he most certainly is not), but that your campaigning colleague and media man Graham White wrote a comment at the Independent newspaper's site (on an article about the looming food supply problems). That comment was a bit of a rant and exposed that he has a very shaky grip on the big environmental issues of the day. I copied his rant here so just click if you want to know who the real climate change denier is.

You are getting very repetitive now and it is getting very tiresome. The snippet of a private email you are bandying about was well-intentioned and the rest of it tried to assure the complainer that I was *not* saying that he had posted on this site. That seemed to be the reason for his post, that he thought I had claimed he had posted here. Sounds like he is equally as confused as you.

Regarding the quality of pieces in the SB - your reign there ended about 5 years ago I believe. Ancient history. Not worth spending more time on.

Gavin wrote on 31/1/11
    Regarding the quality of pieces in the SB - your reign there ended about 5 years ago I believe. Ancient history. Not worth spending more time on.[/QGaUOTE]
    .................................................. .............................
    Gavin
    This squirm is not good enough. Your slander was committed on the 29/1/11 and is far from ancient history. Produce the alleged smears or aplogise. Administrator are not above the law! You have brought this forum into disrepute - unless yoiu can substatiate your allegation.
    Eric
    .................................................. ........................
    Gavin wrote in the thread: Monsanto Saviour of the World - Who are Monsanto? started 29/1/11

"In your time as Scottish Beekeeper editor you had free reign to publish any kind of smear you could get your hands on. This place is different. Keep your posts relevant to beekeeping please".

Blog Entries

Eric

I am not prepared to prolong this into a massive review of your tenure as editor of the Scottish Beekeeper. For one thing the 252 post thread on inbreeding here showed that with a massive effort we can sometimes persuade you that you were wrong, but any lessons learned are soon forgotten. Why should I or anyone else now waste our time on articles you published 5, 10 even 15 years ago? It is history.

If anyone doubts my comments on your quality as an editor, they just have to look back to yesterday. You published this smear on SBAi, something, like many of your SB pieces, you picked up from a dodgy anti-corporate/anti-GM website:

One long-standing project of the US Government has been to perfect a genetically-modified variety of corn, the diet staple in Mexico and many other Latin American countries. The corn has been field tested in tests financed by the US Department of Agriculture .....

[snip]

Spermicides hidden in GMO corn provided to starving Third World populations through the generosity of the Gates’ foundation, Rockefeller Foundation and Kofi Annan’s AGRA or vaccines that contain undisclosed sterilization agents are just two documented cases of using vaccines or GMO seeds to “reduce population.”
    What is that if not a smear - a smear on those developing the technology and a smear on the US government? It was even a smear on Kofi Annan!! Utterly bonkers, and the kind of thing that can get forums into trouble unless brought under control. Self-control doesn't seem to be something you have in abundance.

This is what AGRA is about. Most definitely a force for good.

http://www.agra-alliance.org/

Gavin

Blog Entries

Even under worst case scenarios I don't think we will see fields of cotton and soya in Scotland in your lifetime or mine, let alone Brazil nuts.
    Step back and look how frivolous an argument that is.
    I am not trying to belittle your mate borderbeeman, just some of his arguments. Damned sure I will argue with him about climate change when he is talking the kind of reactionary rubbish more oft found in the pages of the Daily Mail or a petrochemical industry circular.

99% of the science supports the hypothesis that climate change is related to mankind's activities on the planet.
    Last edited by Jon; 31-01-2011 at 06:42 PM.