Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible forum changes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post

I rather like the idea of creating an explicit 'ranter's corner'

Gavin
    The position of that apostrophe is very telling re. the number of ranters you think there are on the forum!

Blog Entries

In my defence, m'lud, perhaps I should point out that at any one point in time (on SBAi) there is only likely to be one and the others will rant at a slightly different time?

That didn't wash, did it? Oh well, I Googled for Speaker(')s(') Corner and found both options. I have to say that the Speakers' option was more common though, so I guess that I'll have to ... one more time ... say: 'Sorry!!'

PS Is that your psychology training coming to the fore?

Blog Entries

Just grammar pedantry.
    It's been so long since I studied psychology I can't remember any.

Hi Alex

There is actualy nothing wrong with the structure of this Forum. The problem lies with the Administrator and the core contributors who when presented with anything which is outside their accepted wisdom spectrum - will resort to measures which are aimed more at insulting and discrediting the offending material /author. Witness the inane, but quite vicious inuendo of the most recent contributuions.
    E

Blog Entries

That's one view that everything is fine (except the core contributers and the administrator of course!). All other views seem to suggest that the excellent discussion we used to have here needs help to thrive. We could attempt to drive up the quality in a special area where single topics are up for discussion at a time, where all thoughtful contributions are welcome and all excitable, but ill-thought out and conspiracy theory stuff moved away. Equally, the rather random and provocative posting across the site recently is disruptive to the normal atmosphere of the forum and needs better control. I am in discussion with fellow moderators about how to achieve that without upsetting too many people, and we are still listening to views brought forward here.
    Last edited by gavin; 31-01-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spotted the problems

Blog Entries

Of course it would just be a whole lot easier if I simply put Eric on moderation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McArthur View Post
    Hi Alex

There is actualy nothing wrong with the structure of this Forum. The problem lies with the Administrator and the core contributors who when presented with anything which is outside their accepted wisdom spectrum - will resort to measures which are aimed more at insulting and discrediting the offending material /author. Witness the inane, but quite vicious inuendo of the most recent contributuions.
    E
    Actually Eric there is only one poster who tends to attack the person rather than the argument and unfortunately it's you. More often than not the recipient of your unwanted attention is Gavin as you have history that goes way back.
    Stick to the arguments and let them stand or fail on their own strength.
    In an ideal world, use your own ability with words to make your case rather than cutting and pasting - generally from unreliable sources such as yesterday's NWO Observer site which houses the collected wisdom of David Icke amongst other conspiracy theorists.
    Have you tried Google scholar for searching the internet? It cuts out a lot of the rubbish.
    If you look at the top of your browser screen to where it says 'more' select this and scroll down to 'scholar'
    This gives you a google search function which searches just the published research in a 'plethora' of journals.
    You search in the normal way using key words or phrases.

Further replies from Eric and the responses to them can now be found in the 'Over the edge' sub-forum where provocative and other unwanted posts will be placed.
    Last edited by gavin; 02-02-2011 at 01:24 AM.