Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice to gardeners

Blog Entries

Default Advice to gardeners

So I'm giving a talk to a gardening club in a couple of weeks. In addition to my "standard" (can one delivery count it as standard yet) talk on honeybees, they want to know what they can do from a gardening point of view.

I must admit that at this point I was kind of intending to head off into bumble/solitary bee territory and a bit of a mention about spraying stuff but could do with a bit of help about what sort of common garden plants are attractive to bees. What little knowledge I have is more applicable to allotments.

But if you were littering around the garden centre planning your garden and wanted flowers that were attractive to bees what would look for?

(haven't forgotten the article in beecraft, just gathering more opinions)

Blog Entries

Willow, snow drops, crocusus for good early pollen supplies
    Sunflowers are good fun for birds and bees.
    There are some garden bushes that provide great pollen sources late in the year but I dont know their names in english (and cant remember in German).

And build one of these:

Hi Nellie
    I made up a "bee menu" for a garden centre near me. Would u mind if I sent it to I? Or is it ok to put a link to it on this forum?

Easy beesy

Sorry that should read do u mind if I send it to U?
    Eb

Blog Entries

Either works for me and think a link would be useful for others. Got your PM and will take a mosey in the meantime.

how about....
    acacia, acer, alfalfa
    blue bell, borage,broom,buckwheat,basil, beans, black berries/currants
    crocus, comfrey, clover (white),cherry, clematis
    dandelion,
    elm
    gooseberry
    hazel, heather, honeysuckle, horse chestnut, hebe, hypericum
    ivy, impatiens
    jasmine
    lime, lupin,ling, lavender
    majoram,mahonia, michaelmas daisy
    poppy
    raspberry
    sunflower, snowrop, strawberry
    thyme, thistle
    willow( pussy)

theres a few :-)

Blog Entries

Smile more plants for b talk

How about crocus, snowdrop, Hellebore (Helleborus foetidus), Angelica (Angelica archangelica), Mint family Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) lemon balm (Mellisa officinalis), mint (Mentha piperata) lavenders, sage (salvia officinalis) Kniphofia (red hot pokers they just love these), cotoneaster (bee heaven!) all the cone flowers (rubdekia, echinacea), globe thistle (Echinops)they cant get enough of this, lungwort (pulmonaria), californian lilac (ceanothes), yarrow (Achillea filipendulina) californian poppy (Eschscholzia), marigold (calendula), red clover (trifolium pratense), ivy, apple, plum, damson, cherry, this is not an exhaustive list as you can imagine!! Latin names in brackets good luck with the talk!

J junkie
    The more I read from you, the less I worry about your bees.
    Some great suggestions there.

Eb

Nellie
    Happy to share the menu with the forum if I figure out how.

Eb

Hi Nellie,

I gave a talk a number of years ago to a gardening club. As well as taking about flowers for bees I went through the beekeeping year with reference to the flowers out at that time of year , took a hive along and demonstrated all the components, got somebody as a volunteer to put on the bee suit and play with the smoker and hive tool etc. I also had a power point presentation as support. The interesting bit was watching all the men in the audience crossing there legs after discribing what happens to the drones after mating. I finished the talk with a honey tasting. Some of the questions at the end were also interesting eg where do the bees go in the winter etc etc