Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Year greeting

Blog Entries

In that case it doesn't sound as if your apple brew would be any better than the commercial stuff if pressed into service as car screenwash! My blue stuff turned into slush in its plastic container on the back seat.
    Last edited by gavin; 03-01-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: r-d exchange

Hi Gavin,

If we get Kate to come and officially open our nature reserve and apairy planned for this Spring do you want an invite. The talk at the last reserve committee meeting was do we ask Kate Humble or Bill Oddie. I know who I will be voting for.

Blog Entries

Absolutely!! I may even come over for Bill Oddie, particularly to find out if we really are similar as my assistant seems to think. But if Kate can be bothered to travel North I'd move mountains to be there.

Is Bill Oddie a beekeeper too?

G.

Although new to this forum I'm enjoying reading past & present posts. I find it interesting to see how bee keepers on the other side of the pond relate to common problems associated with their girl's. Bears are a major issue for me!!! All the best in the upcoming season. Bee Positive.

Blog Entries

We had a bear in Bayern a while ago but they shot poor old bruno.
    Thieves and woodpeckers are more the worry here!

Alright you peaked my curiosity Thieves???

Blog Entries

Colonies get stolen, presumably by beekeepers. Hard to believe, I know, but it does happen.

Blog Entries

Yup big problem here. In the latest beekeping magazine here there was a long article about how to protect them.
    Setting up a 'wild camera' is legally problematic (as it takes pics of everyone walking by invading their privacy)
    Installing an old mobile phone hidden in the insulated lid was one idea (so long as it is turned on you can track its location)
    Good fencing and a sturdy lock, and screwing your bottom boards down to something heavy.
    Branding hives is not much good as thieves are usually only after the bees and not the gear.
    Last I heard was about 30 hives being stolen in one night from a bee institue - terrible they would have been part of a research project.

I'm shocked. I never would have guessed this could be a problem. The people stealing the hives have to be fairly knowledgable on moving hives. Again I'm truly stunned to hear of this. One might think the person purchasing the bees would ask some questions. Whats next?

Blog Entries

It is worse than that I am afraid to say.
    Apparently most do not sell them on. They keep bees themselves. They don't treat for varroa and don't feed for the winter.
    They replace their colonies in the winter by stealing other peoples.
    Moving hives is fairly easy block the- hole with a fine mesh, bind the floor brood box and lid together and you are off.