Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuc box designs

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If you want something cheap and cheerful, correx does to job.
    I made 15 of these last summer. It takes about 60-90 minutes to make each box.
    Could you explain how you made the frame rests please.

Blog Entries

Two pieces of polystyrene cut to size faced with correx and held together with gaffer tape.
    Make the front face a few mm higher than the block so that the frame rests on it.
    You could use a block of wood or several rectangles of correx taped together if you don't have polystyrene. I just use what is available.
    I overwintered several of these.

I have changed the design a bit as well to add an open mesh floor.
    I just cut away most of the floor leaving a lip of about an inch which supports a piece of mesh cut to size (18 inches by 10).

There is another thread here somewhere about making these and some stuff in the blog section.
    Last edited by Jon; 10-05-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Thank you, that will give me something to work on once I've worked out what the measurements should be.

Blog Entries

I start with a piece of correx 32 inches by 40.
    The floor is 18 by 10 and the sides are 11 " high.

Would that be internal measurements, or doesn't it make any difference once it's been scored and folded?

Also, is this for Nationals? If so, it will give me an idea of proportions because your frames will be 17inches long, by ??. Would I be wrong in guessing that the width would suit any hive type, as long as it's using Hoffman frames?

Our Langstroth frames are a 19 inches by 11 1/4 deep, with short lugs that don't give a lot of leeway for careless sizing of frame rests.

My supply of correx advertising boards are a bit smaller than the ones you use, so will probably need a lot of duct tape and a bit of overlapping for strength. Nothing lost though, if they don't work, but I think you can tell that I don't do a lot of DIY.