Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuc box designs

Blog Entries

Default Nuc box designs

I've looked on the SBA website & a few others to find some designs for nuc boxes but can only find designs for hives. I was thinking of making a 4 framed nuc box (or 2 ) and think I have an idea for dimensions, but would really appreciate some advice before I waste a lot of my time (takes me forever to saw through wood) making one the wrong size.

I was thinking that my inside dimensions need to be 371mmx150mm x 225mm? Would it need to be a bit deeper if the floor board is being nailed flat to the box? The 2 short sides will need to have space at the top for the long lugs on the frames. Does it matter what type of wood I use as these are used for a short period of time- I have an old wall unit to recycle.

Blog Entries

Hi Ems

Martin Adams posted his drawings on the BBKA forum and they seem well-regarded. I was planning to use them but never quite got around to it. You can buy the plastic wheel thing in Thornes and other suppliers have them too.

The thread is here and to see it you'll need to register if you haven't already done so.

... and there are pictures of nuc construction in progress here, where there is also a 'cutting sheet'. I can probably link directly to his image of the drawings:

If you copy and paste the image into some image software you can print it at a better magnification, or just pick it up from here:

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ucs12mmPly.jpg

cheers

Gavin
    Last edited by gavin; 15-12-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Blog Entries

If you want something cheap and cheerful, correx does to job.
    I made 15 of these last summer. It takes about 60-90 minutes to make each box.
    I have ten nucs overwintering in these at the moment.

bearding-44.jpg correx-nuc-templ&#97.jpg

Blog Entries

Hi Gavin, Those plans are great, thank you. (sending to my dad with a big hint)

Hi Jon, I love how straight forward that looks- I'm convinced that I could manage not to mess that up too much. Is it ok ventilation wise? I don't have any correx but will look out for it.

Blog Entries

Hi,
    while we are on the subject of saving money I am looking for a spec for a transformer for embedding frame wire into foundation. In the Thornes and Sweinty they are about 50 Pounds. from an electrical supplier a transformer the like costs 20. The question is what output for the transformer?
    I have a really old one - 12V AC 2 Amp (24Watt).
    Does it matter if it is AC or would DC output also be fine? I also have seen 4 amp ones (also 12V or 18V).
    What is your transformer spec?
    Last edited by Calum; 16-12-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi Calum. This doesn't answer your question, but it may just help avoid buying. Back in the bad old days when I used foundation, I used an old car battery charger.

Just use an old car 12v battery.you only need to touch the ends of the wire momentarily to embed.Too long and you will melt right thro,.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    Is it ok ventilation wise? I don't have any correx but will look out for it.
    In the winter you will get condensation. I punch half a dozen holes in the floor to let it drain away.
    Inside, there is a two inch gap above the frames and I put a rectangle of 50mm polytryrence there. Apart from keeping heat in, this means that condensation forms on the colder side walls and runs down to the floor rather than forming on the inside cover and dripping on the bees.

Blog Entries

The nucs are getting a testing at the moment. We have had 6-8 inches of snow since teatime yesterday and it is still falling.

Blog Entries

Chris & Grizzly, thanks for the advice, I'll do just that!