Thread: Oxalic acid today

Thumbs up Oxalic acid today

Bit warmer at last today.Bees flying from all colonies in the sunshine-cleansing flights.I decided that today seemed to be the window in the weather to get the OA treatment done.All hives seem to be bursting with bees.Perhaps I might need to supplement their feed with some fondu to be on the safe side although they all took about 40 to 50 lbs of Ambrosia in September and so shouldn't be short of stores.

Blog Entries

It seems to be the day most folk have put on the oxalic. I've been too preoccupied to get it ready - maybe tomorrow but we are forecast to be at -5C in the fog tomorrow!

Blog Entries

I mixed my Oxalic earlier today but the bees were far too active so I'll have to wait for a day or two.
    Is this ivy pollen there are bringing in?
    can't think what else it could be.
    look at the level of activity in this nuc.

bee-with-pollen-11-12-10.jpg bearding-44.jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 11-12-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Blog Entries

That's a lot of activity. Ivy pollen is usually a deep yellow type and this looks like something else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    That's a lot of activity. Ivy pollen is usually a deep yellow type and this looks like something else.
    I thought it was a bit light but I can't think what else it could be. The bees at the allotment were bringing in significant quantities of pollen.

Do you see how those 50p nuc boxes had no problem with the last two weeks of weather. Each one has a 50mm deep rectangle of polystyrene between the top of the frames and the underside of the plastic lid. Most of them have a pancake of fondant in there as well. The one pictured has a bit of insulation at the back and sides but most of them don't have that.