Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxalic treatment advice

Hi EmsE,

Same here I am hoping for a thaw this weekend so I can check the girls and give my oxalic acid.

Gavin, would it not be easier to buy it by the case and get it delivered. Much more civilised
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-12-2010 at 11:29 PM.

I purchased a 100ml Bottle pre-mixed treatment from our local Newburgh supplier, and with an excellent explanation of its use from the shop keeper. Probably not a cost effective solution for you lucky people with lots of hives, but for my two, will be enough! (I am told.) One amusing note to it -- The label tells me to store in a cool place! I gues that's not going to be an issue over the next few weeks!!!!!

I worked a night shift last night, and the temp guage on the ambulance got down to -14 in Cupar. I thought it was meant to get warmer. Bbrrrrrrrr

Default Scary Moments

Well its done! My first winter treatment of Oxalic Acid. Done as per the advice and instructions of the masters of these forums, and per the instructions on the bottle.

I have to say it did seem very strange and daunting opening up hives, still surrounded by snow, and an air temp of 5c. But I have to say I was pleasantly suprised to see two healthy clusters, still with plenty of stores on the frames, and with some of the bees complaining strongly about the sudden invasion.

A quick drizzle of the treatment, supers back on, crown boards and roofs, and back for a nice cuppa. Still didn't feel right though. Poor girls !!!

However many thanks for the tips and advice from everyone, I hope the ladies will forgives me and still be here to complain in the spring.

Blog Entries

I am sure they appreciated the warm meal!