Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best scanner for morphometry

Yes to all that.

The instruction sheet in MorphPlot should give you all the info that you need both for MorphPot and DrawWing - but do follow all the directions carefully.
    Peter Edwards

Blog Entries

I am still using a V330. I scan at 2400 dpi.
    For ordinary scanning/photocopying there is a white screen insert which you put in the scanner.

These are the settings I use

scanner settings.jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 23-01-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks chaps for your replies. Getting one of these should make things easier. I might even artex the walls now!!!

Blog Entries

I see amazon are charging £107 now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Perfec.../dp/B0040ZP3ZI

I got mine for £78 including delivery from Amazon 2 years ago. Might be better offers elsewhere.

i see the newer version is cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfection-P...dp_ob_title_ce

Thanks for the link Jon. PC World list them cheaper but don’t appear to have any and sites such as price runner list cheaper retailers (£80) but when you go into customers feedback……..er…….maybe not!

I'm new to morphometry and about to buy a scanner. It seems the Epson V370 has replaced the v33/V330 series, though they can still be found. Anyone tried this later model and able to can give feedback?

Both V330 and V370 operate on Mac (my preferred system). Anyone know if Drawwing is Mac compatible? (Have emailed them too.)

I'm trying to avoid having to replace my ancient Windows laptop which I have to use for MemoryMap and leading hillwalks. Perhaps for this too?

I think the bees will make it out today ... patchy sunshine and nearly 7 degrees already.

Kate

Above: "Anyone know if Drawwing is Mac compatible? (Have emailed them too.)"

Wow, that was quick. DrawWing tell me it doesn't work on Mac. Disappointing but not surprising I guess.

Kate

Blog Entries

Default Best scanner for morphometry

Depending on your mac, you can install windows on to it using 'boot camp' and/or use something like VMware or parallels to run windows from within OSX which would then let you run drawwing.

I'm a fully paid up member if the Cult of Jobs so if you need any more info let me know.

Thanks Neils
    I'm tempted to take this route ... watch this space!
    Kate

Blog Entries

Default Best scanner for morphometry

If you've got a windows disk setting up bootcamp is very straightforward and lets you choose when your mac starts up whether you want to boot windows or OSX.

Going the VMWare/parallels route can be more flexible because you can run the windows programmes from within OSX so you still have all your mac stuff available, but you do need a reasonable spec mac for it not to run very slowly. Both work well but will cost you an extra £40-50.

How old is your mac and are you running one of the newer versions of OSX?

If you aren't sure, click on the apple icon in the top left of the screen and select 'about this mac' and paste that info into here.
    Last edited by Neils; 18-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.