Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best scanner for morphometry

I have an Epson V500 that has a film scanner attachment for slides
    Also a Film scanner made by Silverline that's really small and easy to store and use that was LIDL I think
    they both work
    Anybody recommend a good freezer for killing things they they just fly out after a spell in ours
    Also the same is happening with the bats (they are a real challenge to morphometry)
    Can anybody recommend a good glue for sticking the wings back on around 1000 bees sampled from my 20 hives
    Don't know if the RSPCA recommend one or not
    Beekeeping was getting boring till I discovered wing collecting

Blog Entries

I love the way folk are just winging it on this thread.

Effect of pesticides on wing morphometry anyone? Must be the great overlooked factor for bee losses, don't you think?

Has Jon and Rosie not covered that in the post on finding extra bits added on or missing from some wing patterns at points 18, 0 and 3.
    May as well blame pesticides for changing the vein patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I love the way folk are just winging it on this thread.

Effect of pesticides on wing morphometry anyone? Must be the great overlooked factor for bee losses, don't you think?
    If you don't like waiting just drop the bees directly into surgical spirit --instant death and the wings are fine.
    No pesticides involved just necessary cruelty
    AMM to AWM (a wing missing) in no time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Has Jon and Rosie not covered that in the post on finding extra bits added on or missing from some wing patterns at points 18, 0 and 3.
    May as well blame pesticides for changing the vein patterns.
    The weakened wings obviously mean that they can't find their way back. And the phone mast signals have a short, with sparking and all sorts of trouble.

Jimbo had a strong call for poster of the week there, Drone Ranger crept up rapidly while no-one was looking, but Rosie still has it by a Hantel shift.

Sorry for further diverting the thread. Slapped wrists.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    AMM to AWM (a wing missing) in no time
    Yea but with the Imidacloprid they mutate so that still leaves 17 wings 2 stomachs and 12 legs per bee. **

**evidence not needed, I can feel it in my bones.

I have my scanner, I have the software, I need to kill some bees ( sounds odd to do it ) then prepare for a barrage of hopefully not so stupid questions

Wraith, A wee tip. Don't scoop up the queen! (It has been known) If you check back through the posts I think there is a method to collecting a good sample of young bees for morphometry

Queens are all marked so no chance of that, Touch wood I did the two shake method when collecting some for Rosie, first shake to remove older bees and second shake to collect younger, seemed to of worked I got 3 torn wings out of the 32 sampled

Hi everyone
    Sorry to resurrect this thread at a late stage but I think it’s time I moved away from projecting bee wings on the wall and got a scanner and associated Draw Wing. Is the Epson v330 still the best all round scanner to get? (I’ve noticed other models mentioned but not other makes of scanner) I take it I need a scanner that will scan with incident light for film (rather than reflective light for prints) and at least 2400 or 4800dpi for image quality. Have I grasped that correctly? Also will Draw Wing and Morph Plot work with windows 7 ?
    Thanks for any advice.