Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best scanner for morphometry

Blog Entries

I place 18-20 wings on to a microscope slide then set another slide carefully on top before placing it in the scanner.
    You have to be careful not to move the slides while setting them on the scanner as you will end up with wings touching which means they will not be scanned.
    2400 dpi seems to be plenty.
    With AMM a small change in the position of points 0, 1 and 3 can make quite a difference to the value obtained as the distance between point 1 and point 3 tends to be very short in AMM compared to races such as carnica.
    Drawwing often places point zero too far to the right which gives an artificially high CI value.

Edit for clarity - CI is calculated by dividing the distance between point 1 and point 3 by the distance between point 0 and point 1 so moving zero nearer to 1 raises the CI
    Last edited by Jon; 31-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Isn't it great to have such expertise on tap? Thanks everyone.

My scanner is an old HP slide scanner which purportedly works at 2400 x 2400 (and needs these Gepe slides) but I have to say that my few forays into morphometry have been a bit frustrating as DrawWing didn't really work as it should. Hope to try again in the next few days.

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

Yup, I heard Rosie. Got to get through the AGM....could be Sec by April. Be good. MS is so neckdeep in the intricacies of the Improvement Group we're on self-learn atm and I'm trying to fit in (badly) cramming for Module 7 along with everything else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi EmsE,

You mentioned scanner. Are you scanning the wings onto a computer and using DrawWing? If you are then you will require microscope slides (I can send you some if required). If you are mounting wings into projector slides you can either project them onto a wall or scan them and use the BeeMorph software. For the older BeeMorph software I just placed the wings between two photocopy acetate sheets (I can also send a few of these if required). I would not open your bee cluster at this time of year but if you need some bees to set up your scanner I would pick some dead ones from the floors. I usually sample my bees in the spring when they are building up and again in the autumn. If you require any assistance or help in setting up of scanning your wings just PM me
    Thanks Jimbo,

Which programme was used in Scotlandwell or did we see both? I think I should be using the one where I mark the points on the wing (rather than the computer doing it for me) so that I can practise getting the points in the right place.
    I'll give the projector slides a try first as the wings would be secure if I was disturbed whilst in the middle of trying to prepare them. If it doesn't work I'll raid the kids microscope set (They'll enjoy looking at the wings on the computer anyway).

I'm hoping that when I move the bees on Saturday, a few (well >30) will come out of the entrance when I take the foam out for me to collect.

Hi EmsE,

There was 3 methods demonstrated. 1.placing wings on slides and projecting onto a wall. 2. BeeMorph was demonstrated by John D and 3. DrawWing demonstrated by myself.
    With DrawWing you have the option of the computer placing the points or using the step by step mode where the computer places the points but you can move them if the computer fails to place them correctly. When I scan wings I use the step to step mode. In my opinion DrawWing is the easier software to use and takes out some of the operator error

Blog Entries

Smile Epson V330 Problems

I recently purchased a second hand epson v330 on eBay. I mounted neat rows of ten wings times three directly onto the glass bed of scanner then placed microscope slides carefully on top of them. I scanned with scanner auto mode and got dismal results. For one, it thought the wings were a colour document and the scan itself was of poor quality and had shadows on each wing. DrawWing program didn't accept the scan so it looks like I will set the scan manually to black & white and at it's highest dpi resolution. I now think from reading the other posts that thirty on one scan may be too much for the program to handle so I will try three sets of ten individually. Hopefully my next post will tell of my success! Great thread this, Neil

Neil,

It should handled 30 wings with ease. Did you have the scanner set to transparency mode?

Rosie

Morphometry ??

I'd recommend a brain scanner

Tried that, also our MRI scanner and the scanners at the Tesco self service. Nothing else worked except the Epson V100 or Epson V330. Good to see you posting again DR.

Blog Entries

LOL! And at 6:22 in the morning too ....