Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best scanner for morphometry

Blog Entries

Default Best scanner for morphometry

My current scanner is ancient and only scans at 600dpi.

I have seen the Epson v330 mentioned several times as being up to the job for morphometry and that currently costs around £80 delivered. It will also scan transparancies and negatives which is something I need to do from time to time.

Is there anything else in this price bracket, or any other scanner substantially better, if I spend a few quid more?

Hi Jon,

I use an Epson Perfection V100 which I bought on e-Bay for £50. It is the same scanner as Peter Edwards used when he demonstrated DrawWing to me. If you look at the instructions posted by Gavin I have noted the minimum requirement for a scanner.

Jon
    I'm a beginner to both beekeeping and morphometry and like you noticed the V330 being mentioned as suitable for wing analysis; I bought the machine through Amazon.

Albeit I've only sampled 50 wings using DrawWing the scanner appears to have performed as described and the software analysed the wings as expected. It doesn't come with a great instructions but never-the-less is simple to use once the correct settings are applied for scanning wings (thanks to Jim/Jimbo for the advice at the Scotlandwell workshop at the weekend) it works well. If needed I can send copies of the images taken and their analysis for you to compare with other devices.

I haven't used it as yet to scan transparencies or slides. I hope this assists.

Alex

Blog Entries

Thanks Jim and Alex.
    I found Amazon to be cheapest as well.
    At £78.20 I don't think I would save much by bidding on a second hand model and you get the 12 month guarantee as well.
    I need a new scanner anyway so just want to make sure the one I get is good enough for scanning bee wings.
    Talk about priorities!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0040ZP3ZI

Hi Jon,

Had a look at the Amazon scanner and it looks like a newer version of mine. The main thing is the dpi it needs to be at least 2400.

Blog Entries

Hi Jim
    Just ordered the v330.

There is a cheaper one, the v33 which scans at 4800 dpi but it does not have the insert for transparancy scanning which I would use.

If you just want it for bee wings (how sad is that!) it's only £60.82 delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Perfec...1114892&sr=1-4

Blog Entries

The scanner arrived this morning so I anticipate hours of fun messing around with bee wings.
    Jim, those notes of yours on Drawwing made up of the screen shots are brilliant.
    I set the thing up later today and do a dummy run with a few wings I have lying about.

I'll report back if I have any problems.

Blog Entries

I collected a few bees today from two colonies which had been previously had wings assessed by Roger Patterson, one of them back in March and the other more recently in October. I scraped out a few dead bees from the floor of each colony.

There seems to be a good correlation between the earlier samples and the current ones independently of the scanner or the operator.
    the same queen is in residence in each case.

I decided not to use 34 as a breeder colony on the basis of the earlier results due to the degree of hybridization and this is confirmed by the sample I took today.

march jon-col34..jpg october col34b.jpg

October col48..jpg December col48b.jpg

You can see the correlations quite clearly.
    In both samples colony 34 has bees with a high CI value and in both scattergrams of colony 48 there is a very negative DS value.
    Last edited by Jon; 05-12-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Hi Jon,

I hope you have lots of fun with your new scanner. The Morphplot default is set at 2.000 for CI for Amm (In the box at the bottom left of the printout). At the BIBBA morph course it was agreed this value should be changed to 2.100. When you change to 2.100 more of your plots will be in range and the %Amm will increase but the red box will remain at 2.000 I think there is an explaination in Peters notes on how to change the size of the box. I noticed in one of the plots it has been changed

Blog Entries

At long last, I've finally got round to ordering my scanner but can't seem to find any projector slides. Where is the best place to get them from?