Thread: Bees wanted for 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Simon

Its a great hobby, you've chosen wisely! There is one person I know not so far from Glasgow who might sell you a colony. He tends to charge market rates and last winter he didn't like to commit himself until the season was getting underway as he didn't know what his winter losses would be. So if you are still looking next spring he might be worth a try, but I'd try your local association as Ems and Jimbo suggested.

There are some real sharks out there who will sell you anything they can scrape together for an exorbitant fee. Some of them source bees in dodgy places then risk spreading sometimes new diseases and pests far and wide. So buy locally if at all possible. In years gone by beekeepers in Perthshire have supplied quality bees to quite a large number of amateurs, but they are currently at risk of harbouring European Foulbrood so I wouldn't recommend them either.

Gavin

hi
    i may have some nucs around the 3rd wk June but not sure yet down to the weather they would be Buckfast X or AMM
    The AMM would be with an II Queen

Hi,

did you manage to get a nuc? We are in Ayrshire and have one ready to go if it helps.