Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxalic Acid Treatment

I did a lot of digging on the net about OA treatment and the people who seem to have done most of the science are the Italians.They did a whole load of tests at various OA concentrations and testing seems to show that a 3 1/2 % solution is best.The ready mix stuff that people like Maisiemore sell is at 6 % and costs real money compared to the 5 pence per hive that mixing your own costs. Just another point is don't keep the solution as the acid reacts with the sugar over time and becomes poisonous to the bees.I mix fresh every time.You should use a full 5 mils PER SEAM OF BEES.This ensures that most of the bees get a covering and hence most of the mites also get a good dose.Unlike the miticides used to control varroa , the mites cannot develope resistance against future treatment so it remains an effective tool to use when the queen has stopped laying and no brood is present with sealed in mites.OA will effectively kill off most of the remaining mites (about 96 to 98 percent.).
    I've found that in the spring I've had no mite drop at all using Apivar which is based on Amitraz and to which I know my mites are not resistant .This product has not been released for use in this country so has to be obtained thro' a Vetinarian.This is a good check on the efficasy of OA however.

Thanks for the replys. Going to buy the ready mix in Dec. as I have only the 1 hive.But hoping to expand next year.