Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What I learned in my second year...

Blog Entries

Funnily enough my intitial searches all return anecdotal accounts on Scottish Beekeeping Association Sites.

There's a study from way back in 1989, but I've only just noticed that the springer.com links want to charge €34 to read the full report. More digging to follow...

Nuts, I wrote loads of notes around this point as, knowing I'd treated my colonies a couple of weeks apart, it was a point that pretty much made me sit bolt upright. I just don't think he mentioned the name of the actual study that was being carried out at the time or the one(presumably) that they used to get these figures.
    Last edited by Neils; 30-01-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Was looking at some figures, and I'll try and get some links sorted out, relating to the rate of re-infestation of Varroa into a colony at the end of its treatment. The short version is it's fast and in quantity, to the point that in some studies they mistook it for signs of resistance to the treatments being applied.
    Nellie, if you are referring to yesterday's varroa conference it was stated by Dr Jochen Pflugfelder that the reinfestation rate was typically 50 mites a day but could be 4 times greater!

Rosie

Blog Entries

The big danger is a 4000 mite colony which collapses in September or October and then gets robbed out as every mite will hitch a ride back to another colony.