Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Queen rearing 2011

Post Queen rearing 2011

Is anyone going to organize a Queen rearing course next year (2011) accessible to us in the wilds of the S.W. i.e. not north of Perth ???
    We are prepared to travel reasonable distances.

Grizzly,

The Local Queen Programme http://www.bibba.com/local_queens.php has been set up to help beekeepers and local BKAs raise queens to suit their own locality.

I don't want to tread on toes, but BIBBA covers a wide area.

Roger Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    Grizzly,

The Local Queen Programme http://www.bibba.com/local_queens.php has been set up to help beekeepers and local BKAs raise queens to suit their own locality.

I don't want to tread on toes, but BIBBA covers a wide area.

Roger Patterson.
    Not down in the S.W. corner of Dumfries and Galloway Roger.I am a member of BIBBA however so live in hope.A listing would be useful.

Blog Entries

We had hoped that the Fife format - with the inevitable wrinkles ironed out - may become a model for other parts of Scotland next year. SBA and/or BIBBA, the people running the Fife one are all in both organisations. Would there be enough interest in S Scotland for one do you think?

But don't you have speakers travelling even longer distances to come and tell you about honeybee communication?!

Mike Thornley who was at the Fife Bee breeding day was talking about a possible event in Helensburgh but not on such as scale and similar to the Fife event. I know it is still a few hours drive up from the South of Scotland but just a bit closer than Perth

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    We had hoped that the Fife format - with the inevitable wrinkles ironed out - may become a model for other parts of Scotland next year. SBA and/or BIBBA, the people running the Fife one are all in both organisations. Would there be enough interest in S Scotland for one do you think?

But don't you have speakers travelling even longer distances to come and tell you about honeybee communication?!
    I believe we have a certain Dr Ramsey coming to see us next month.This would be a good time to discuss possibilities for next year !.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    i.e. not north of Perth ???
    Maybe I should have spotted this before the Fifers start having a go at you ...... the summer workshop was about 40 km *south* of Perth, and the November workshop maybe 30 km south!

Stranraer to Dunfermline is maybe just a little bit further than Stranraer to Helensburgh, but not much.

I had a feeling that there was some sort of aspiration to run one in the north next year (I'm talking *real* north!). What you need is a few folk enthusiastic enough to set up the day, some with local experience of some kind, and I'm sure that you could lure someone with better experience from afar. Terry Clare was great at the summer Fife workshop, and is again helping us out in November, but there are others. In fact, just a short ferry hop across the water there are Ulstermen with ever-increasing experience of Apideas and a penchant for creative uses of discarded election propaganda!

Self-help is a wonderful thing. Might this be an enterprise to get several SW associations collaborating? If you don't know John Mellis I could sound him out to see if he uses mininucs and is willing to help. Or others in Dumfries. Willie Robson? The Ayr association?

A lot of work involved but every area has it's own needs and peculiarities; I am all for using the expertise within BIBBA but never forget the skilled people on your own doorstep. Once folk get involved things just gather their own momentum. It would be good to see a course like this as an annual event travelling around Scotland. Those who have been involved before would be able to offer their experience in helping to set things up. Make a decision locally whether to hold a course or not. Look for a suitable apiary and get a small committee going. Plan the course to coincide more or less with your local time for queen rearing. Aim for something manageable in size.....looks like Roger is willing to get involved.
    Alvearium

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    I believe we have a certain Dr Ramsey coming to see us next month.This would be a good time to discuss possibilities for next year !.
    Dr Ramsay (two 'a's, its OK, I forgive you ...) will happily advise but I just want to point out that the summer 2-day workshop was entirely organised by Fifers. I was lucky enough to go on the second day. As far as I could see there were the two main local organisers but they were supported by around a good half a dozen or more local volunteer stewards, caterers, registration supervisors, gazebo-erectors, chair shifters, car park attendents and litter pickers. And of course those who contributed to the very well-run association apiary that hosted the event, and the gazebo-supplier from Ayr.

Of course you could do it differently - one day, smaller group, fewer methods on display, one expert invited in to help if you don't have the expertise locally.

G.

Blog Entries

I'd do a course in Lindau am Bodensee, its is just a hop a skip and a ryanair / easyjet flight flight away.
    Queen raising with Jenter system, queen raising in a queen right colony and drinking german beer.