Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Morphometry procedures and standards

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I'm definitely no authority on the subject - but with Jimbo's help I've scanned and plotted my little mongrels' wings with DrawWing and, yes, I used .jpg images. I can send you the images if you want them for comparison. I'll send you a note.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

I use drawwing with Jpgs.
    I'll send you some scans later. Have to rush out now.
    PM an e-mail I can send them to.

Blog Entries

Christmas shopping, eh? Me too, must dash ....... !!!

Hi Domino,

You should be able to use DrawWing with a jpg image as long as the image is of good quality ie at least 2400 dpi.
    The advantage of DrawWing over the other programs ie Beemorth is it can plot your points automatically as well as manually therefore removing some of the operator error.
    If you need the instructions on how to use DrawWing Gavin has posted a link somewhere on the forum. I think you may find it under the SBA thread as it was used for the SBA bee breeding course.
    If you still need help just contact me.

Mellifer Crofter did you find out if DrawWing works with windows 7?
    I have heard Santa is bringing me a new pooter with windows 7 installed and interested if I need to keep my old system for the wings

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Domino,

Mellifer Crofter did you find out if DrawWing works with windows 7?
    I have heard Santa is bringing me a new pooter with windows 7 installed and interested if I need to keep my old system for the wings
    No Jimbo, I made a mistake. I don't have Windows 7 - I have XP (SP3) and Vista. I experienced the same problems using DrawWing on XP as I had on Vista, which is that I couldn't use DrawWing in automatic mode. I would be interested to know if anybody else had similar problems.
    Kitta

I'm on XP (SP3) too. File, Open, find the .jpg and crashes DrawWing.

I have a Win2000 system somewhere, if I get bored tomorrow I'll dig it out and have a go !!

Kitta and Domino,

As Jim suggests I think your problem is the quality of the image. It MUST be 2400dpi or better.

You may also find your wings are dirty, the usual cause is the bees regurgitating before the die. I put them in a cup, put some water in and swish them around a bit. Don't be too vigourous otherwise you will fold the wings. Put them on kitchen roll or a tea towel to air dry, and they should be O.K.

Roger Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    Kitta and Domino,

As Jim suggests I think your problem is the quality of the image. It MUST be 2400dpi or better.

You may also find your wings are dirty, the usual cause is the bees regurgitating before the die.

Roger Patterson.
    Hi Roger - No, the images were of a very high resolution (4800 dpi) and I think the wings were fine as well.

I had a software problem. DrawWing did not work properly when I ticked the Step by Step tick box. It created results, but it did not stop at the stage where I should have been able to adjust the red plot marks on the wings. So, because it would not stop to allow me to adjust the red marks, I got lots of 999s in the results. I could only adjust the marks and get results for all the wing when I used DrawWing manually. This happened on both Vista and XP (SP3).

At least DrawWing did not crash as in Domino's case!

Kitta

Kitta,

Unless I am misunderstanding you there is no need to use the whole wing, just points 0,1,2,3,4,6&18.

You may find that points 0 and 3 are too far to the right. It is important you get them right, otherwise you lengthen 1-3 and shorten 0-1. This is a known problem and Peter Edwards has contacted Adam Tofilski some time ago.

I use automatic mode then alter each one. I find it suits me better than step by step for everything, but I know others don't like working that way.

Roger Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    Kitta,

You may find that points 0 and 3 are too far to the right. It is important you get them right, otherwise you lengthen 1-3 and shorten 0-1. ...

I use automatic mode then alter each one. I find it suits me better than step by step for everything, but I know others don't like working that way.
    Ah! Maybe what you call 'automatic', Roger, I call 'manual' ...

I didn't use 'step by step' either because it wouldn't stop to allow me to adjust the points - and as you said above, it is important to get them right. I only managed to do that when I used the menu for all the steps - but quite in what order, I'm not too sure now. It worked in the end and told me - I think - that my bees are little mongrels.

Kitta