Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morphometry procedures and standards

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Is freezing the best - or kindest - way of killing bees? I'm so reluctant to do that. I thought I was going to look around the hive and pick up dead bees, but from reading the above, it seems to me that is not a solution.

Blog Entries

I've previously mucked about doing morphometry with the dead bees off the floor in spring, but I don't think that it is worth it other than to get experience with the techniques. Too many were unreadable in DrawWing, and there is the issue of course that you really need young bees otherwise you include the drifters in your sample.

Sometimes you just have to do unpleasant things to your bees. Is freezing the kindest way? Probably. Can't think of an easier way that leaves the bees in good shape. Maybe soapy water is faster but the cold approach makes them torpid before they meet their end, just as happens with bees that didn't make it back into the colony.

best wishes

Gavin

Thanks Gavin - I'll brace myself, and kill 30 bees.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Two courses coming up:

Bee Breeding and Morphometry Workshop - 27th Nov, Scotlandwell, Fife.
    I'm just back from the course & have to say it was excellent & I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd just like to say a big Thank you to Gavin & everyone involved in today. Many bee keepers have gone home this evening with a lot of fascinating info to digest & future plans to make. Well it'll keep me out of trouble

Blog Entries

Thanks Ems! John (under his classical pseudonym) and Enid will probably also stop by here and be very pleased to see your comments. Perhaps Enid may take her time as not only is she putting up a couple of the speakers at the moment, she is also suffering computer trouble.

I'm guessing now, but do you have long dark wavy hair?

Great to hear that you enjoyed it - I'm very pleased that you thought it worthy of praise.

G.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post

I'm guessing now, but do you have long dark wavy hair?
    G.
    Yes, that's probably me.

Blog Entries

Then it was a pleasure to meet you!

We had something of a break in the weather between Friday night's snow and more this morning, something to be thankful for. It was quite a dump this morning and the thunder and lightning gave it something of a Caradhras feel for those who remember Lord of the Rings. It is on its way to Renfrewshire now, and I hope it loses strength before it gets too far west.

G.

Blog Entries

Kitta - sorry that you couldn't make it, and I hope that you have enough stores in the pantry to see you through a long snow-bound spell! I'm not sure that I can get out today and I'm almost at sea level ... and it is still coming down. Jimbo offered to perform wing morphometry on left-over samples yesterday so if you would like that done for you that is one way. Alternatively you may like to do it yourself in which case help is on hand here. There were some useful hand-outs yesterday which perhaps Enid could send you. One of them, a table by Ruttner, is a very useful summary of the differences between races and I may scan that later and put it on the forum.

G.

Thanks Gavin. I'm glad to hear the course was a success - and sorry to have missed it. Yes, we're thoroughly snowed in - knee-deep - and the hives each have a pyramid of snow on top of them.

I was pleased to receive an email from Jim (Jimbo?) with a link to DrawWing, and to learn that I don't need a microscope - only a scanner (which I have) and some glass slides (which I'll find from somewhere) - so I'm keen to analyse the wings. I'll contact Enid for more information.

Kitta

Hi Mellifera Crofter,

If you need any information or help or just want your wings scanned for you just drop me an e-mail.

EmsE

I tried to send you a scan of your results today but the e-mail bounced. I have sent again so hope you get them. You may be glad to know your sample came up as 85% Amm. The best result so far!

Jimbo