Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morphometry procedures and standards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Is freezing the best - or kindest - way of killing bees? I'm so reluctant to do that. I thought I was going to look around the hive and pick up dead bees, but from reading the above, it seems to me that is not a solution.

Blog Entries

I've previously mucked about doing morphometry with the dead bees off the floor in spring, but I don't think that it is worth it other than to get experience with the techniques. Too many were unreadable in DrawWing, and there is the issue of course that you really need young bees otherwise you include the drifters in your sample.

Sometimes you just have to do unpleasant things to your bees. Is freezing the kindest way? Probably. Can't think of an easier way that leaves the bees in good shape. Maybe soapy water is faster but the cold approach makes them torpid before they meet their end, just as happens with bees that didn't make it back into the colony.

best wishes

Gavin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    . I first find the queen and put her somewhere safe.
    That is crucial. I know someone who found his queen frozen in the sample after he took it out of the freezer and it was a Galtee queen which he had bought!
    As in any aspect of beekeeping, if you don't know for sure where the queen is, don't do the manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I know someone who found his queen frozen in the sample after he took it out of the freezer
    A friend of mine did that last season - the plot turned out to be a good one as well. We used the queenless colony as a successful cell starter.