Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I join the SBA?

Blog Entries

Default Can I join the SBA?

Seeing as I probably account for 90% of your bandwidth costs and I've had as much help from SBA members as I have from BBKA ones over the past few years.

I would have thought that you can join the SBA just as easily as I can join the BBKA.Get on to the website and have words with Phil McAnespie who is a very nice and helpful guy .

Blog Entries

Hi Nellie

I'm pretty sure that I don't need to say this, but just in case .... you are most welcome here without any need to join the SBA. But if you'd like to, do go ahead and speak to Phil McA as John suggests. A simple PM to him here will be copied to his inbox.

Our automatic compensation and insurance scheme will not apply in Bristol, but you'd get the complimentary magazine.

See-You-Jimmy hats are extra.

G.

Blog Entries

You're right you didn't need to say it. I'm not worried about the compensation or Insurance, the BBKA membership covers me round this neck of the woods, just a thought I had that it might be nice to put something back into an organisation that I'm more than getting my money's worth from. I'll drop Phil a line.

Blog Entries

the paperwork is in! I feel I'm letting the side down by enjoying a nice glass of bourbon though.

Blog Entries

I always thought they would drink anything in Scotland!

Blog Entries

You need something to take the taste of irn-bru away

re the insurance & compensation scheme...... I presume that is because you are only inspecting north of the border????
    so if you have bees in both countries you need to belong to both associations?

Blog Entries

BBKA membership - which you may have through your local association in England or as an individual anywhere if you pay the full membership fee - covers you for liability insurance anywhere in the UK. However the Bee Diseases Insurance with BBKA membership covers 1-3 colonies in England only. The compensation payment per colony is arranged differently from the SBA scheme but in effect is a similar amount.

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/insurance_cover.php

The SBA compensation and insurance schemes are for bees in Scotland and give you compensation coverage for up to 10 colonies. SBA membership is, of course, only through individual subscription and not via a local association.

Both schemes can give you protection for additional colonies for extra payment.

So if it is the compensation cover you desire in the two countries you need both schemes. The cover is like that simply because the two associations cover different geographical areas.

hope that helps

Gavin

thanks yes......not got bees in both countries, but wondered how it worked!