Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bibba handbook

Blog Entries

Default Bibba handbook

Hands up who got their wee Bibba handbook in the post this morning.
    I found one misprint already as the best known beekeeper in Orkney is listed as Mrs D. rather than Frau D.

Blog Entries

Is Dave Cushman really a professor? No reason why he shouldn't be of course, but if so he hides that under a bushel or similarly secure hiding place.

Blog Entries

I see you have ditched your PHD as well.
    One of the striking things is the number of members from the south of Ireland, mainly Cork and Tipperary.
    Must be the Galtee mafia.
    Very few members in Ulster.
    A lot of the regulars from this forum must be listed.

Is that you Grizzly (Adams) first on the list?
    I see Jimbo there as well and goes without saying the Pattersons and the Roses of this world.

Blog Entries

Hadn't noticed the dearth of Ulstermen, but that certainly applies to the Scots given that we have 10% of the population of GB. Is that because folk are happy with the (partial) Amm-leanings of their own national and local associations? Complacency? A deficit of the collaborative spirit which is stronger in our southern bretheren?!

Blog Entries

Ta for the reminder. Just adding to negative northern balance. I don't suspect for a second that any of my bees could be considered "native" but I've been meaning to sort this out for a while.

Blog Entries

Hi Nellie.
    You don't have to have pure native bees to be a Bibba member. (although obviously it helps!)
    That would probably rule out 90% of the membership.
    The BI in bibba stands for bee improvement and that is based on using the best local stock available.
    Roger Patterson may well want to comment on his strategy in West Sussex as the chance of maintaining pure AMM there has got to be close to zero.
    A lot of the focus is on rearing your own queens and acquiring the skills to do that.

But obviously the best part is the secret handshake and learning the funny walk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    But obviously the best part is the secret handshake and learning the funny walk.
    And of course there is the beard aspect too. These days, however, just a mildly expressed wish to grow one one day will suffice, you don't actually have to have one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hi Nellie.
    You don't have to have pure native bees to be a Bibba member. (although obviously it helps!)
    That would probably rule out 90% of the membership.
    The BI in bibba stands for bee improvement and that is based on using the best local stock available.
    Roger Patterson may well want to comment on his strategy in West Sussex as the chance of maintaining pure AMM there has got to be close to zero.
    A lot of the focus is on rearing your own queens and acquiring the skills to do that.

That's what I'm most interested in (getting better at queen rearing). Again the chances of me being able to maintain any kind of "purity" around these parts is basically zero but I do want to continue to improve as a beekeeper, not all of my queens raised this year were entirely accidental but I'd like to be a bit more controlled around the whole affair in future.

And of course there is the beard aspect too. These days, however, just a mildly expressed wish to grow one one day will suffice, you don't actually have to have one.
    Will one of those monty python type jobs do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Will one of those monty python type jobs do?
    Perfect! Monty P are also good for the silly walk.

If anyone ever gives you hassle over that alleged Scottish granny and your use of SBAi, then simply donning one of those See-You-Jimmy hats should fix that too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    .. alleged Scottish granny
    There is legal precedent.
    Tony Cascarino played 88 times for Ireland.

Cascarino was born in England but represented the Republic of Ireland, qualifying through his Irish grandfather. However, he later revealed that his mother told him in 1996 that she was adopted and therefore no blood relative to the grandfather. Cascarino said in his autobiography: "I didn't qualify for Ireland. I was a fraud. A fake Irishman". However, through the adoption his mother gained the right to Irish citizenship and therefore he was indeed eligible.