Hi Eric,

To answer your first point would 40 years working in scientific research in a Scottish University rated as one of the top 50 Universities in the World in one of the largest research institutes within the University that was rated 5* in the last RAE excercise a few years ago as one of the top institues in the world for the quality of our research be enough science for you?
Back to inbreeding I went for a second opinion today and asked one of our top genetic professors who's speciality is human population genetics. He did not use a bowl of fruit example but said if you have a large bag of hundreds and thousands of all diffrent colours (he admits to having a sweet tooth) and you take out a handful you will still have at least one of every colour. The probability of picking out all the red ones in the first handful is very remote therefore you will still maintain your genetic diversity. If you relate this to the bee with so many CSD alleles the probability of you getting inbreeding is remote. You could still get inbreeding if you were very unlucky and managed to picked out all the same allele but the probability of this was extremely remote.
I agree with Gavin in point 3 above that inbreeding is a bit over-hyped but beekeepers should be aware of the potential. I also think that there may be other factors involved. I was reading a research thesis today about the effects varroa treatments have on sperm numbers in drones and viability in the queen. To me that is more scary than potential inbreeding