Thread: Miller Feeders

Default Miller Feeders

This is my first year with a beehive and decided to use a miller feeder thirteen and a half pints of thick syrup was given I was expecting the syrup to last three days but it all went in one day does there come a point when the bees stop feeding keeping in mind dysentery or do i continue feeding, I would be grateful for any advice.

Ted Hooper reckons each colony needs 45lb of stores to get it through the winter. However, I just keep feeding till the bees stop taking it down on the assumption that they know best and I havent had any problems doing it this way. cheers, Tony

Blog Entries

I do most of my feeding from mid September as I like the queen to have plenty of room to lay and too much feed fills the brood box with sugar before the colony can build up with winter bees.
    Re Ted Hooper and his 45 lbs., I have found that my bees reduce to a cluster covering 4-7 frames in winter and 30lbs, ie 6 sealed deep frames is sufficient for them.
    If you have native type bees they will not need huge amounts of winter stores.
    I never leave supers on in winter.

Default Miller Feeder

Thanks ajtony @ jon your advice is appreciated. kirk boy.