Thread: Conversion of Smiths brood frames into National

Default Conversion of Smiths brood frames into National

Hi, I bought my first bees in a Smith hive - the brood box is quiet old & ideally I’d like to replace it this year. However, I think ideally I’d like to switch to Nationals going forward. I know that Smiths frames will fit loosely into a National hive but given this is the brood box, I want to make sure they are secure- what is the best way to do this? Is there anyway to extend the lugs at all?
    Also any recommendations for switching to a new brood box. My hive was strong going into winter but obviously too early for full inspection. Thanks in advance

Hello Elaine,

did you get this colony recently? I'm guessing if yes then you maybe have not done an inspection yet and that might still be a few weeks off. The Smith frames will fit in the National fine, nothing to worry about. You can just transfer them as you do the first inspection. Or if the colony is really strong you could use the Bailey comb exchange to get them onto fresh comb. Beebase has a good pamphlet that explains this.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Hello Elaine,

I agree with FD. The side bars of the Smith frames will hold them all tightly and securely in place - and the bees will help by propolising the joints.

On your first inspection, remove all empty Smith frames, and move the others over to your new National box, keeping them in the same order. Add a National frame with foundation to one side of the brood area, then any Smiths with stores, and fill the empty space with either National frames with foundation or dummies. As they become stronger, and have drawn out the first National frame, add more and more National frames to the side of the brood area. You can keep them like that (a mixture of Smith and National frames) for the rest of the season and gradually work the Smith frames out to the side of the box to be removed the next spring.

Or, if you want to get rid of the Smiths as soon as possible, and perhaps use your old Smith box with its Smith frames as a bait hive, then do a Bailey exchange as mentioned by FD a bit later in the season when they're nice and strong. See Gavin's reply in post three of the thread 'Langstroth to National' for a nice graphic display of a Bailey exchange - here -. Remember that the top box will need its own entrance above the queen excluder. I've made shallow ekes with an entrance each which I use in such cases.

Happy beekeeping!
    Kitta

As usual there's more than one option with beekeeping - I've done both the above (moved frames across or a 'bailey') and sometimes it can just depend on what mood you're in at the time as there's not always a right or wrong answer! Welcome to the forum.

Hi, thanks so the info - that sounds great & will read up on the Bailey Exchange as sounds ideal. I’ve had my bees just over a year & although the hive was strong going into the winter, I’ve yet to do an inspection this year - there was some active & bees with pollen on a warm day last early last week. Hopefully weather will pick up over next couple of weeks - fingers crossed!