Thread: As if we don't have enough to contend with .....

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default As if we don't have enough to contend with .....

...the bushes and trees next to our apiary are full of little blue tits and I suspect they are picking off my bees. Tried to get a video but they all scarpered so have no evidence mi lud. Does anyone know if they are going for live bees (just a few flying today when the sun came out) or picking the dead ones off the landing boards?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I think you might be right, Bridget. Not that I know, but a quick Google around told me they rub the bee's sting on the ground before eating it. I don't know whether that's true. You'll probably lose only a few bees (let's hope only a few!), and you're compensated by such a lovely sight of blue tits! I don't think I've ever seen a blue tit here.
    Kitta

My 'garden' on the west coast is awash with blue and great tits at the moment - all busy jockeying for position to get to the nest boxes. Not a bee in site, not even a bumble yet this year. Frogspawn in the ponds and snow on the hills with golden eagles overhead on their nuptial flights.

There could be worse places to avoid coronavirus

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Bridget, somebody has just posted a video about feeding bees to bee-eater birds here - but you might have seen it as well. I thought it was interesting because it showed the birds getting rid of the bees' sting. I guess your blue tits would do the same! Are your bees still ok? And the blue tits?
    Kitta

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

That’s a cool film Kitta,thanks. Bees doing ok in the main. Birds still around but not so much. Hope you are all well. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro