Thread: Pollen Substitute

Default Pollen Substitute

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone in Scotland feeds pollen substitute ? If so when do you start putting it on?

Chris

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've fed pollen (not substitute) a few times more as an experiment than anything else. Some colonies take it down, others singularly ignore it. I just put a tablespoonful on a piece of card balanced across the top bars of the frames. I suspect those that didn't take it down had sufficient already, and I'm not aware of colonies really being short of pollen. I probably added it mid/late February ... possibly too late (!).

140302-016.jpg

Mine today were taking something bright yellow in, despite the stiff, cool breeze.

I made some 'sub*' some 10 years ago however it didn't seem to make any appreciable difference for me in that year. Last year bees stopped brooding for a while in March as the weather meant that they couldn't get out to forage, so it would have been beneficial then.

* sorry - getting a bit American - and need to pronounce it "surb" !

I've tried sub and sup without measurable gains vs controls, I think my bees have ample pollen whenever they need it, nectar is in shorter supply at some point in most seasons, I'm in West Wales though.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I bought some Ultra Bee powder a couple of years ago - it was a terrible waste of money. In some colonies the bees may nibble a bit of it, but mostly they ignore it. I've added some again on the colonies and will look to see whether they welcomed it in a couple of weeks' time.
    Kitta