Thread: Stewarton Hive

Default Stewarton Hive

Is anyone out there working with the Stewarton Hive? If so would they be interested in sharing their experience of the legendary quality of this hive to promote supersedure rather than swarming?

Eric McArthur

A quick search found a new one at a snip at £1800.

Hi Adam
    This hive design is for beekeepers with ‘different’ needs. I am not interested in buying one. Legend has it that the Stewarton Hive inhibits swarming – this belief I think is an ‘historical’ concept which has not been currently scientifically peer reviewed and become part of ‘beekeeping mythology’,
    Eric

I'm assuming you've seen this PDF of a document by the Rev E. Bartrum on this hive ... The Hive of the Busy Man. I saw one once at the BBKA Convention. Intricate and beautifully built.

"I am not interested in buying one". I'm not surprised at that price!

I can't see that a particular hive can reduce swarming apart from the size of it as a congested hive will encourage swarming and a large one will tend to reduce it and I believe (can't remember where I've read it) will more likely result in supercedure later in the year rather than swarming. I don't disagree with that although I haven't done side by side comparisons myself to confirm in a statistically significant way.

I do often have colonies in double brood boxes and a I do see (and like to see) supercedure.

I agree that there's a lot of 'mythology' in the beekeeping world. I pick up old beekeeping books now and again which can be a quite fun read as there's practices in them that we would now describe as decidedly odd, sometimes, but once it's written it becomes fact. How would you dispute an apparently authorotitavely written volume without the possibility of a challenge or peer review?
    Last edited by Adam; 27-12-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Default Stewarton Hive

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I'm assuming you've seen this PDF of a document by the Rev E. Bartrum on this hive ... The Hive of the Busy Man. I saw one once at the BBKA Convention. Intricate and beautifully built.
    Many thanks for that! Your referenced publication ‘confirms’ the belief that the Stewarton does indeed inhibit swarming – and I quote, from page 39, 6th line from the top of the page: “…………but in non Swarming Stewartons these idlers…” A further quote from page 26, 3rd, 4th and 5th lines from top of the page: “Mr Cheshire gave some account of the instinct which forbade swarming with an unfilled eke………”. Cheshire was beekeeper of some significance at that time and is here, agreeing with the claim for the Stewarton. This book by the Rev., E. Bartrum is a fascinating read and gives a marvellous insight into the minds of the ‘old time Greats. Much obliged for your help here!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    "I am not interested in buying one". I'm not surprised at that price!

I can't see that a particular hive can reduce swarming apart from the size of it as a congested hive will encourage swarming and a large one will tend to reduce it and I believe (can't remember where I've read it) will more likely result in supercedure later in the year rather than swarming. I don't disagree with that although I haven't done side by side comparisons myself to confirm in a statistically significant way.

I do often have colonies in double brood boxes and a I do see (and like to see) supercedure.

I agree that there's a lot of 'mythology' in the beekeeping world. I pick up old beekeeping books now and again which can be a quite fun read as there's practices in them that we would now describe as decidedly odd, sometimes, but once it's written it becomes fact. How would you dispute an apparently authorotitavely written volume without the possibility of a challenge or peer review?
    Hence my original request!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McArthur View Post
    Is anyone out there working with the Stewarton Hive? If so would they be interested in sharing their experience of the legendary quality of this hive to promote supersedure rather than swarming?

Eric McArthur
    Eric do you think it maybe in the manipulation of the hive through the season rather than the shape of the hive ?