Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen colonies broodless?

Default Aberdeen colonies broodless?

A rather odd request, but bear with me ... do any beekeepers in the Aberdeen area know that their colonies currently have sealed brood? It's been cold here in Fife and colonies I've recently checked have had little or no brood.

We have colonies in the area but it's a heck of a drive just to pop the lid and find they're broodless

With thanks

As one of the few regular Aberdonians here I suppose telling you that I don't know is a somewhat useful response...!

Somewhat But not quite as useful as yes or no
    I realise it's a bit late to be rummaging around in boxes, but I thought it was worth asking ...

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Yes, Fatshark. I know of at least one colony that has brood. I had to open it to check that it still has a queen in order to unite the hive with another. Bit late, I know - but the bees were obstinate. I'm still not sure what's going on, and will find out in the spring.

I'll be taking out some more Varroa strips, towards the end of the week, from hives that have been on the heather. If the weather is ok, I'll have a quick look.

Kitta

Thanks Kitta ... we're going to check for brood on Wednesday.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    A rather odd request, but bear with me ... do any beekeepers in the Aberdeen area know that their colonies currently have sealed brood? It's been cold here in Fife and colonies I've recently checked have had little or no brood.

We have colonies in the area but it's a heck of a drive just to pop the lid and find they're broodless

With thanks
    I have one hive with sealed brood. Can tell this because I can see the debris on the varroa board and because they are keeping the brood warm as there is condensation on the polycarbonate crown board.
    I hope.....fingers crossed....etc etc
    And not helpful cos not in Aberdeenshire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    ... they are keeping the brood warm as there is condensation on the polycarbonate crown board. ...
    Bridget, condensation on the polycarbonate crown board would worry me. Do you have enough insulation above the crown board? That should prevent the condensation - even if they're rearing brood.

I decided it's a nice calm day - so, I'll remove the Varroa strips. A couple of days short of six weeks will probably not matter. But it was cold and the bees were clustered - so, I didn't pull out any frames. Sorry, Fatshark - I can't give you any more information.

Kitta

Many thanks ... we'll know by tomorrow afternoon. One of the team is making the trip as I'm stuck in meetings all day.

Again

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Bridget, condensation on the polycarbonate crown board would worry me. Do you have enough insulation above the crown board? That should prevent the condensation - even if they're rearing brood.

I decided it's a nice calm day - so, I'll remove the Varroa strips. A couple of days short of six weeks will probably not matter. But it was cold and the bees were clustered - so, I didn't pull out any frames. Sorry, Fatshark - I can't give you any more information.

Kitta
    Well I’m waiting for life to allow me time, on a warmer day, to get the syrup off and the insulation on. In summer there can be quite a lot of condensation on the polycarbonates and then I use “ whisper it and don’t tell anyone let alone Fatshark” matchsticks!!!
    However some condensation seems to be quite normal here, maybe it’s the bee house, and it’s not caused a problem so far.
    The bees also looked as though they were doing orientation last sunny day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have insulation on all year.
    And no matchsticks