Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
So am I, GG, and I don't have a good answer. I keep the cappings wax separate from other wax in the hope of saving honey still in the wax for mead or cooking. I still have to find a good way of retrieving that honey.

As for the other wax, one of the easiest and cheapest options is to borrow a wax melter from the association. I'm always pleased for an excuse to visit Sandy. They work like this one from Thornes, but are round.

For further rendering and cleaning of large amounts of wax, I've bought a Kochstar from Abelo (they're not as fancy or expensive as the Thorne's ones). It's ok, but still not ideal. I've tried wrapping the wax in a large piece of muslin, but lifting the muslin out of the bucket of molten wax and trying to squeeze all the wax out of it, is difficult. I don't think I'll repeat that. Also difficult is lifting the bucket from the Kochstar and then pouring the wax into moulds - but it is quicker than a bain marie on a stove. You can also melt down larger pieces of wax. That was perhaps the main reason I bought the Kochstar - to melt down chunks of wax that's too large for a bain marie.

Kitta
Thanks Kitta ! I didn't think about the association but will do that. Seems like there are a few wax melters with the association. Do you know who has the good bigger one and I'll contact ?