Thread: Feeding honey

Default Feeding honey

I've got a bucket or two of old rather poor quality honey I'd like to feed back to the bees later in the year. It's not something I've done before.
    Any advice? Is it as simple as melting it (it's crystallised), distributing it into suitable containers with some wood or poly 'floats' and placing it over the crownboard within an empty super?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

What makes honey a 'poor quality', Fatshark? I have honey that got a bit overheated trying to separate cappings from honey - but those become 'cooking honey' (or mead honey).

As for feeding it back to the bees - I'd probably choose to just feed it to them as it is.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I've got a bucket or two of old rather poor quality honey I'd like to feed back to the bees later in the year. It's not something I've done before.
    Any advice? Is it as simple as melting it (it's crystallised), distributing it into suitable containers with some wood or poly 'floats' and placing it over the crownboard within an empty super?
    Hi FS - I often have dregs in buckets that are mixed heather / blossom and feed it back to them after heating gently and putting in a miller feeder on top with floats. Works a treat.

Thanks greengumbo ...
    Poor quality Mellifera - flavour, appearance, very small bit of separation, rather old (though this isn't really relevant) - I can't just give it to them 'as is' because it's in a 30lb bucket

I know one of the tricks with sections was to feed back honey rather than relying on a good nectar flow (I'm not doing this).

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Thanks greengumbo ...
    Poor quality Mellifera - flavour, appearance, very small bit of separation, rather old (though this isn't really relevant) - I can't just give it to them 'as is' because it's in a 30lb bucket

I know one of the tricks with sections was to feed back honey rather than relying on a good nectar flow (I'm not doing this).
    Nice hint for sections though !

I believe Bro Adam would feed back honey diluted 50% with water.