Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varroa treatment with young queen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Varroa treatment with young queen

Having done Demaree and Horsley board, I have sealed queen cells which will hopefully hatch and mate. Up to 8 days after she starts laying, I will have a colony with no sealed brood. I have the option of an apiary in a varroa-free area, and although I currently have no varroa in those colonies, I have varroa in others in the apiary (at very low levels) and would like to vapourise with ‘oxalic’. Is this advisable with a young queen, or should I wait (how long?) and vapourise a number of times (how many and how many days apart?).

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I have no advice on oxalic acid treatment, Phil (besides which, you’re far more experienced than me) - but I do wonder whether any treatment will safeguard your colony from Varroa, as a female Varroa might just piggy-back into your colony just before you close them in to move to the Varroa-free area.
    Kitta

Thanks, mellifera
    Yes, treatment would have to be late evening, then keep them closed with travel screen ready to move next morning.
    But my worry is whether a young queen will be affected by the oxalic - not worried about a short term effect, but long term??
    If no one has experience of this, i might just give it a try!! And monitor every day in new location, just in case...
    Phil

I should have realised you’ll treat them and close them in at the same time!
    Kitta

I've treated casts with virgin Q's with vaporised OA no problem. Far better to treat when all the mites are phoretic. I've no idea whether there are long-term effects ...

However ... the big problem is that OA treatment will not be 100% effective. 95% is the best figure you'll see. Whether this is reached under 'normal conditions' is questionable. How certain can you be that the colony is Varroa-free at the moment?

Personally I wouldn't trust this as a way of guaranteeing no Varroa. There's too much at risk. I'm in the same situation and will source local Varroa-free bees for the new apiary and then improve/change/expand the genetic pool by sourcing suitable queens (where I can visually inspect them to be sure).

Thanks, Fatshark.
    I agree with what you say, no (?) treatment is 100%. back it up with Varro-gard??? Or what else? But where do you source, or rather where can one source, varroa - free bees? The apiary will be shared with the house owner, who is very keen to have bees.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

There has been a big upsurge in people wanting to keep bees here at the moment. But unfortunately we are struggling to supply enough local varroa free bees to meet the demand. Also we are actively pushing the don’t import bees message as well. It only takes one mite in a colony to change an area forever!😡 Isle of Man beekeepers or Andrew Abrahams on Colonsay might be able to supply varroa free bees.
    http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cf...earchyear=2018

http://www.snhbs.scot/colonsay/
    Last edited by lindsay s; 19-05-2019 at 12:36 AM.

If it's a Varroa-free area are there other beekeepers you could contact? As Lindsay says, the importation of mites is effectively irreversible. There are so few areas left that are Varroa-free that I think we have a responsibility to protect them if we possibly can. I'm sure the house owner is keen to have bees on the property but perhaps you can persuade him/her that a little patience now will allow the keeping of bees without chemicals.

Personally I wouldn't trust any combination of treatments to make the hive mite-free.

I've got colonies that gave a drop of ~25 mites over 6 weeks with Apivar early last autumn. These colonies have had fantastically low counts all last year. In midwinter they got oxalic acid/Api Bioxal ... and one or two more mites appeared.

Perhaps you could persuade the house owner that, in the absence of mites, they could also get to see the occasional Braula

I belong to an AMM breeding group up here in the North-East. We thought we’ve found a beekeeper-free site in the Cabrach for our mating apiary - but it turned out we’re not alone.

There just might be somebody near your Varroa-free site as well.
    Kitta

"Personally I wouldn't trust any combination of treatments to make the hive mite-free". I agree!

It's also the case that you never know where another colony is - kept or wild.
    Drones and queens can travel quite a distance to mate too..