Thread: 2 in 1 poly nuc box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I've had the opposite experience, I think those Stehr boxes are great. Simple box that takes frames of bees. I don't need or want anything else from them. Can't say I've noticed any issues that could be put down to incorrect bee space although I assume they must have come from the same set of moulds.
    The Thornes box has too wide a space for the frames so comb tends to be built at the ends of the frames; maybe I got an early one and the error was corrected for as the box had been reduced down by polystyrene spacers from the original internal size; it would be easy to supply the correct spacer material.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

I’ve had to adapt the inside to give them top bee space and to give my Smith frames a better fit. But the bees still have plenty of room to build brace comb. I’m going to have fun prising the frames apart on their first spring inspection!!! If my polynucs do the job I will be getting more and I’ll just put up with their niggles.
    Last edited by lindsay s; 27-02-2019 at 06:36 PM.

I've made similar changes to my Everynucs to accommodate National frames. However, I use the integral feeder and they seem to cope pretty well with it. Topping up the fondant involves just prising up the end of the lid and sliding a lump in.

180908-011.jpg

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Nice link Fatshark 😀. I have bought their top feeders which are really good, but the only downside is another third is added to the Everynuc’s cost. I only feed homemade candy as an insurance when it’s to cold for syrup. The carriage costs for bee fondant make it far to expensive to use up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The Thornes box has too wide a space for the frames so comb tends to be built at the ends of the frames; maybe I got an early one and the error was corrected for as the box had been reduced down by polystyrene spacers from the original internal size; it would be easy to supply the correct spacer material.
    The ones I've got (bought about 3 years ago) have that gap filled in with sheets of the same poly as the box is made of. Maybe I got lucky!