Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tangential versus radial

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Thymallus ... do you have a link to one of those presses?
    Will they work on a non mains supply (reasonable pressure) and do they use excessive amounts of water?
    I'm (slowly) moving to a heather area with a private water supply, so have a vested interest ... and no money left for a loosener
    Yes, try Vigo, They have a range of sizes to suits ones needs. They seem to have shot up in price since I bought mine.
    They don't use a lot of water, there is tall bladder inside that expands out as water pressure builds inside forcing the honey out, so you only fill the bladder, it's not through flow.
    . Very efficient. Only downside is you need to be sure pressure inside doesn't go above 3 bars as the safety operates and water will jet out of the safety valve.
    I don't know if they would work on non mains, off the top of my head I think they recommend up to 3 bars.
    But have to say they are the bees knees when it comes to heather honey crushing. Can also be used for crushing cappings rather than letting them drain.

I have one of these - http://www.thebeebusiness.co.uk/range_extractors.php with a Bosch drill I happened to have which I fitted myself by removing the chuck. It does 8 super frames radially and has a couple of stainless frames that sit inside and allow me to put brood frames in and extract one side then the other. I don't get any heather so I can't comment on that. However the extractor works well for my needs. For cleaning, the drill and holder can be removed with a spanner before I carry the extractor outside so it can be scrubbed and hosed down without worry that the motor will get wet. The extractor sits on a stand with castors and then the top is chained at 3 points to stop it vibrating (too) much when there's an uneven load.

Adam how much control do you have over speeds with a drill?
    I ask as I've recently upgraded from a 9 frame motorised to an Abelo 20 frames. With the 9 frame I had three speeds and blew lots of super frames over a season even when trying to balance up at speed 1.
    The new 20 frame jobbie has 10 speeds and extraction of honey starts at speed three, plus (and perhaps more importantly) it doesn't race to get up to speed it has a gradual speed increase, whereas my old Thornes job tried to get up to speed as fast as possible. I've yet to blow a super frame this season although a few brood frames have burst on me.
    Not sure what relevance this has to heather honey extraction, just my muses about possibly some extractors going to max speed far too fast.

The speed control works very well I am pleased to say. The drill has a little dial on the trigger for speed so once the motor is turning and the drill is locked on (squeeze the trigger and press the little button at the side to hold the trigger in), you simply rotate the dial to get the desired speed. With 8 full frames, the drill slowly speeds up over 10 - 15 seconds even when set for a fair speed. As the frames empty of honey, the drill speeds up just a little bit more - so I can be doing something else for a few moments whilst the honey is being spun out. The motor will struggle and overheat if the honey rises high enough so the rotating cage/frame drags on it. This wouldn't usually happen as there is enough reserve space at the bottom of the extractor for 8 frames worth of honey. I have only blown frames if they are unbalanced somehow and they are being spin at quite a lick. One failed yesterday - first for a couple of years - it had pollen in one side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Ha ha, nice price. However there is a handheld one that is a bit cheaper at £90. Has anyone had any success with this?

Sorry v small picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Abelo lent me one of these hand-held looseness when they first appeared but I returned it. I couldn’t get it to work effectively and it was slow and damaging to the combs. It was easier to use a metal roller though they’re not very good at loosening either.

In Lochaber after several years trying to use wired frames and extract non-Heather and heather honey (tangential extractor) I gave up and went back to strips of foundation in separate supers for the heather. It’s a bore but using a press, though slow, is a pleasing process, especially if you like to make candles.

Agree with Gavin on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk