Thread: Seven-day insections

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Default Seven-day insections

I've tried so hard to prevent swarming, but in this weather, returning after seven days is too late!

I've lost three colonies to swarms. Today I lost two colonies I've inspected six days ago and there definitely weren't any queen cells in the making then. Today's queen cells were brand new on new comb and very conspicuous. I couldn't have overlooked them six days ago. And, judging by the amount of eggs, or lack of them, I think the swarms left about two days ago.

I think in this hot weather the bees just can't wait to get going. I'll have to start clipping wings, I suppose.

Am I the only one who couldn't control their bees?

Kitta

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post

Am I the only one who couldn't control their bees?

Kitta
    No. Lots of swarming taking place here at the moment. Partly because this is our usual time for swarms but I also think the good weather is exasperating the situation. One of mine swarmed two days after inspection leaving nothing more than a few Q cups with eggs and that colony had been split as well.
    The two queens that are caged in their hives will be let out today if they are still ok and I’ll place a queen excluder under the brood box. I know it’s a drastic measure and will be tough for the drones but I’m back at work and I can’t have this apiary swarming. It’s right in the centre of town and it’s my first year of use. We’re needing our usual cool weather and a few days of rain to calm things down and our plants definitely need the rain.

Reassuring as a second season beekeeper to hear that it isn't just me! Had one lot that swarmed despite me doing an A/S, one lot which are making QCs again despite being split a month ago and a few clumps of bees over the place which I have to grudgingly accept were probably missed QCs!!

I'll suggest a theory here - you can shoot me down if you wish.

Does inspecting a colony when it's close to thinking about swarming upset the queen pheromone so that the bees produce swarm cells as a result of the inspection? Or perhaps bring swarming forward by a few days? I haven't seen it for the past few years, but I used to see a pattern (or believed I saw a pattern) that there would be no queencells one weekend and then find the next weekend some colonies had them. My thoughts at the time were more anecdotal rather than mathematical analysis but you get my drift, I hope. I just had a feeling that I was causing the swarming to a small degree.