Thread: Heather weather

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Camped overnight close to Glenshee, the bell looks great and the ling still looks green unlike a lot of the grass! A spit of rain this morning but nothing that would make a difference.

Exchanged waves with Murray or one of his crews with a load of Smiths close to Braemar while taking down our tent this morning, so he's on the move!

It is raining in the hills - a wee bit - this site has lots of data: http://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall

Although to be useful you'd also need to know how much rain is enough - I have no idea!

Cheers !

Our site actually looked okay. The bell heather looks great this year and the ling is still a while off I think. I only moved four hives in the end - mainly as I was going for a look anyway and secondly as the rest are crammed with clover honey and the hives are stupidly big. Third extraction of the year for some hives coming up then they can all go and I can breathe a sigh of relief for 6 weeks

Pleased to see a bit more rain today - I've been walking in the hills and its been bone dry. I put a couple of hives on a bell site, however I've likely missed it. A lot of the bell on that site actually passed the best (Angus glens so will be south of you GG). I have seen ling that looks pretty well on so plan to move other hives end of next week once all the uniting is done.

Worth remembering that heather moors are really large boggy water sinks. It may be dry on top but underneath there is still a lot of water. I'm looking forward to seeing what the crop is like this year as it will provide a lot of info on what is required (or not) for a good heather crop. Last two years we have had very wet June's and July's and exceptionally good weather in August which has given bumper crops.
    Is it the foraging weather? Or the amount of rain in June/July?
    Seeing the staggering amounts of honey being brought in with our long extended hot dry conditions my money is on the weather.

Update:

Moved all my hives up mid July. Checked last week and its a mixed bag but not looking like a great year. Ling still going but lots of brown flowers already. I will leave it a bit longer but not optimistic. How are others doing ?

North Yorks Moors western side is producing lots of nectar. Most hives have filled 3 or four supers (not fully capped) and may need more. Although the recent rain and cooler weather may slow them down a bit.
    Intriguingly it's a bit checkerboard in places. Full out in some areas and just coming out in others. It may (or may not) be an extended season. Possibly due to whether the heather was over underlying deep wet "peat" or smaller distance to sub rock.
    But it's not exceptional, just the norm for this area.