Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heather weather

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Best tip I ever got was from Murray to rapid feed without the clear plastic insert and float hay / straw on top of syrup instead. They blitz it down in no time
    Interesting - a couple of mine seem to need more weight but are a bit reluctant to take it down, will give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Interesting - a couple of mine seem to need more weight but are a bit reluctant to take it down, will give that a go.
    Good luck jambo. I fed a bunch last thursday in the rain and checked yesterday to find they had taken all 12 litres and no drowned bees

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Good luck jambo. I fed a bunch last thursday in the rain and checked yesterday to find they had taken all 12 litres and no drowned bees
    Encouraging! Struggling to get my head around why it works.

RE drowned bees it's a bit odd that I seem to have either hives with zero drownings or quite a few, never seems to be one or two. They're also the ones that don't take the syrup quickly. A numpty gene?

Any predictions for this year? Slow day at work so updated my rainfall charts

This shows May + June rainfall for all years 2009 to 2019 recorded by SEPA. Surprisingly Inverurie is not considerably wetter than most other years, last year was the outlier. However in the Cairngorms (Ballater) there has been 80mm MORE rain than this period in any year in the last ten.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jambo; 05-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Here in the Highlands still struggling with the weather. Just stopped feeding after all that rain in May and June. Feel sorry for the bees trying to get out and forage. I read somewhere needs to be 15 degrees for nectar - is that true? If so no wonder they have been struggling. Certainly no blossom honey this year but our main crop is heather. Some bell heather out but we don’t have much. The other heather looks healthy in the sheltered woods but some of the moor not looking great yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro