Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Senior scientific question equations???

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Package bees are indeed available. Denrosa will supply them and there was a gentleman in Glostershire Mike by name who also supplied. Very interesting to watch them develop though of course they are more delicate than a nuc so that may be part of the reason they are not so popular as they are in warmer countries than ours.

PH
    There are lots of suppliers. The number traded is way more than the official statistics. Some UK bee farmers also make a lot of packages. A significant proportion of the package trade goes to nuc producers. Demand has gone nuts in the last couple of weeks.

Package bees are indeed available. Denrosa will supply them and there was a gentleman in Glostershire Mike by name who also supplied. Very interesting to watch them develop though of course they are more delicate than a nuc so that may be part of the reason they are not so popular as they are in warmer countries than ours.

PH
    Hmm I bought a nuc from a Mike in Gloucs.. full of varroa and hastily dumped together..Since then I have heard other uncomplimentary reports..But that was 7 years ago so maybe things have improved..

Is Mike in Gloucs still around?

Yes there are suppliers for packages but the modules on beekeeping don't mention them - the pros and cons, how many bees should be there, how to install them, etc. And maybe how to treat for varroa - a whiff of oxalic acid vapour would work well.

I had some from him and they were fine though this was oh 10 years ago or so. They were payment for the use of my heather loosner which he had actually never used but he stuck to his side of the bargain which was the packages. Last I heard he was selling up or trying to.

PH

Blog Entries

Is he the chap running a UTube channel on Queen rearing?

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Can someone explain package bees? Smaller than a nuc I'm presuming but how made up etc. And why? Cheaper?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[QUOTE=Bridget;39443]Can someone explain package bees?

Dave Cushman has some info (http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/packagebees.html) and old videos on youtube show installation of a package of bees at Craibstone(?).
    I suppose it is a convenient way to ship the equivalent of a swarm, from warmer climes so earlier in the season and you can treat them as such.

A package of bees is sold by weight, usually 3 or 5 pounds of bees + a mated queen in a cage. The heavier weight is more expensive. So basically one is buying a man made swarm and so they build up slower than a nucleus would. Hence the price difference.

I am not aware of a package vid ex Craibstone but that don't mean there is not one.

PH

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

A package of bees is sold by weight, usually 3 or 5 pounds of bees + a mated queen in a cage. The heavier weight is more expensive. So basically one is buying a man made swarm and so they build up slower than a nucleus would. Hence the price difference.

I am not aware of a package vid ex Craibstone but that don't mean there is not one.

PH
    Thanks to you both. Interesting but I think I'd prefer to increase from my own stock though I can see it might be tempting if you'd lost a queen in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7F5u7Uqt1U

Bridget - series of videos, this one is hiving a package.